Stall Converter Problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2009, 09:06 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Stall Converter Problem

I recently purchased a 1990 Camaro with a 383 bound to a 700-R4 transmission I was told it had a 2500 stall. As I drove, it seemed that it did have one. It would rev, catch, and go. My dad followed me home the nice 5 hour drive we had so I did nothing stupid just drove. About an hour away from home I smashed the peddle just to see yah cause this thing sounded mean as hell with a brand new just broke In 383 with close to 400 horse I just had to lol. I smash the peddle…NOTHING it didn’t kick down at all it stayed in same gear so I put it in second gear and floored it. Holy hell I lost my stomach lol I was like…nice. I get home my grandma wants a ride she gets in I was like a 2500 stall I bet I could burn em like no other. I stop, put it in First gear, press the brake, floor it nothing im like wow now I look like an idiot…So I just decided screw it I’ll just take off. Well I wanted to cry I let off brake and I think I could of ran faster than it for the first 3 seconds I mean it was like I was on an electrical scooter and im not even kidding. Then after about 2500 rpms it took off like expected. So im wandering COULD there be something wrong with the converter keeping it from locking properly or does it have a 2500-6000 cam without a 2500 stall converter? The guy did not lie once so im hoping it does have one with just an easy fix or a cheap one. So if you have any ideas or anything I would really appreciate them. I was so satisfied until this happened and it really makes me mad so please advise me if you can thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2009, 10:18 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

How to determine the "stall speed" of your torque converter.

On a drag car you can heat up the drag slicks and launch the car WOT and observe the tach as the car initally leaves the line. The rpm that the tach flashes to during the inital launch is the max stall speed of that torque converter, behind that motor, in that car.

On the street with street tires you have a problem. The problem is the rear tires will spin before the converter is fully loaded at full throttle launch.
The converter will never achieve its max stall speed before the tires start spinning on you.

So.... Do the converter stall speed test while rolling.

Drive the car normally from a stop with slow and steady light acceleration in "D". Let the car shift from first gear to 2nd gear automaticly (shifter in "D"). When the car auto shifts up by it self from first to 2nd, immediately let off the gas petal, then floor the gas petal and the brake petal hard at the same time and watch the tach. The tach will flair up in rpm before the transmission downshifts. the rpm that the tach flairs to just before the transmission auto down shifts (back to 1st gear), when you floor the gas and brake, is the torque converter stall speed. The higher the rear tire traction the more accurate the stall test will be.

Let the car auto shift from 1 to 2 while in "D". When it shifts 1st to 2nd, let off the gas and then immediately floor the gas and brake petal together, hard. Watch the tach. The rpm that the tach jumps to just before the trans kicks down (downshifts), is your torque converter stall speed.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:24 AM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goany
I recently purchased a 1990 Camaro with a 383 bound to a 700-R4 transmission I was told it had a 2500 stall. As I drove, it seemed that it did have one. It would rev, catch, and go. My dad followed me home the nice 5 hour drive we had so I did nothing stupid just drove. About an hour away from home I smashed the peddle just to see yah cause this thing sounded mean as hell with a brand new just broke In 383 with close to 400 horse I just had to lol. I smash the peddle…NOTHING it didn’t kick down at all it stayed in same gear so I put it in second gear and floored it. Holy hell I lost my stomach lol I was like…nice. I get home my grandma wants a ride she gets in I was like a 2500 stall I bet I could burn em like no other. I stop, put it in First gear, press the brake, floor it nothing im like wow now I look like an idiot…So I just decided screw it I’ll just take off. Well I wanted to cry I let off brake and I think I could of ran faster than it for the first 3 seconds I mean it was like I was on an electrical scooter and im not even kidding. Then after about 2500 rpms it took off like expected. So im wandering COULD there be something wrong with the converter keeping it from locking properly or does it have a 2500-6000 cam without a 2500 stall converter? The guy did not lie once so im hoping it does have one with just an easy fix or a cheap one. So if you have any ideas or anything I would really appreciate them. I was so satisfied until this happened and it really makes me mad so please advise me if you can thanks.
When you say "rev, catch & go", what does that mean? Is it acting like the tranny is slipping? If it has a manual valve body in the tranny, it won't downshift on it's own, you have to shift up & down manually. If it don't have a manual valve body, there is possibly something out of adjustment with the kickdown cable. Now here is a thought also. If it has a reverse manual valve body in the tranny, what you think is first gear (all the way back) is actually 3rd gear and 1st is the (D) position.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:37 AM

Are you sure the carb is opening to full throttle? Just because the pedal goes to the floor doesn't mean the throttle plates are opening all the way.How about the timing? Is it set with a timing light? Sometimes we look for the hardest things first, so kick back and think of all the easy fixes first! .I'm not trying to demean you, I have been in the same situations before,...Keep us posted......CR
Old 11-02-2009, 08:39 PM

Ok so problem is jerk before purchased a manual carburator and took back flap off it was flooding motor switched it out no problem thanks guys learned a lot from your posts
Old 11-03-2009, 12:07 AM

Glad it was something easy! .....CR
Old 11-03-2009, 02:40 AM

Last photo:

Check your oil & make sure it's not diluted with gas.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:23 AM

Just to let you all know a little more about the car lol since i kinda let you all out. 383 Stroker 412 horsepower 700R4 Beefed up with wider bands and all the works sadly bolted to 2.29 rear end gears nice paint nice body ready to go blu8e with silver stripes and a 2 or 3 inch cowl hood ill get pics up one day. Oh and oil is fine just running some break in oil engine has 300 miles on it tranny has 700 rearend has same as engine.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.