Stall converter speed - a different approach - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2011, 07:12 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Stall converter speed - a different approach

Like so many others, I'm looking for that magical stall speed to make me happy. Do you know what speed I need? Of course not... So, where does one go to input the right info to get exactly what they want? I want an app for that! Anything out there? With my specs in hand I'd think 3000-3500 would be great yet I've gotten replies from builders from 2800 to "don't waste my time with email" loosely quoted. I want what I want and really can't rely on someone's opinion unless they know how I drive, what I drive, and what setting I'd have on my Sleepnumber mattress had I owned one. So... where would one find this info with maybe a plug and play chart, or ??...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2011, 11:02 AM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Never seen one.

Good time to invent one.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:50 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Pick up the phone and call a reputable company, talk the their tech people, that's what they're there for.

"I want what I want"? He he, sounds like somebody needs a nap...

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 08-04-2011, 12:02 PM

Last photo:

Too many variables to have a chart. Besides, doesn't everyone need 2 or 3 wrong converters laying around their garage?
Old 08-04-2011, 03:13 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68NovaSS
Pick up the phone and call a reputable company, talk the their tech people, that's what they're there for.

"I want what I want"? He he, sounds like somebody needs a nap...
Dude! It's 100 friggin' degrees outside! Don't start on me!

The trouble with phone calls is everybody has a different answer, naturally. I've gotten 2 that were close - 3200 versus 2800 - I already have a 2500 I'm not thrilled with to take up wasted space next to the GT40 heads, 2 stock converters, shift kits, cams, sink... to answer the other response above! I'm not real sure about spending $600 for a difference of 300 rpms at the moment. After heads, trannies, misc parts, I have enough parts to build another car - which I'd hate because it's the parts I didn't like the FIRST time! It's time to find a cheaper hobby. I know! B.o.a.t.ing! Bust Out Another Thousand... Frustrated? Nah, that was BEFORE I started research.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:33 PM

Last photo:

Anytime you buy "off the shelf parts" it's a gamble as to if you will get the performance you are spending your bucks for.Buying an "off the shelf converter" is probably one of the biggest gambles,since you are working with a Ford checkout this site: www.clickclickracing.com check out the converters from "Dirty Doug" and have him custom make you one or it is possible to have Him upgrade the one you have I would give Him a call. If those phone calls you made previously were to B&M or T.C.I. you probably talked to a guy that's trained the same way as an Autozone or O'Reilly's counter guy.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:25 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMatch
Dude! It's 100 friggin' degrees outside! Don't start on me!
Heck "dude", it's over a hundred everywhere, I was 105 today. You're only a few miles from me, hang in there.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 08-05-2011, 07:44 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB
since you are working with a Ford checkout this site: www.clickclickracing.com
DD is the one suggesting 2800 which makes me shrug a bit (compared to my 2500) claiming the difference I'll feel is in the smaller diameter. Also found in my research of previous posts is Allan (DD) claiming to NOT use a 9.5 for a 2800 stall as it's LESS efficient, now he's claiming TO use a 9.5 because it's MORE efficient. It may be the way to go, but I have to sleep on that one. I wish I had a way to test drive a real converter...
Old 08-05-2011, 07:56 AM

Last photo:

A lot of convertor builders will offer what they think will meet your needs. And that's after giving them your specs. Then they offer one re-stall in case it's to loose or to tight. So seek out those builders that are willing to work with you. Try Coan. They build some awesome convertors.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:37 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

mike mcgee at trickshift in weatherford texas. 817-221-2400

leave a message and he will get back with you.

this man knows his stuff and will not argue for one second. answer his questions and take his advice. he is the go to guy on trans in this area and builds his own converters .
Old 08-05-2011, 11:45 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMatch
DD is the one suggesting 2800 which makes me shrug a bit (compared to my 2500) claiming the difference I'll feel is in the smaller diameter. Also found in my research of previous posts is Allan (DD) claiming to NOT use a 9.5 for a 2800 stall as it's LESS efficient, now he's claiming TO use a 9.5 because it's MORE efficient. It may be the way to go, but I have to sleep on that one. I wish I had a way to test drive a real converter...
You might find some good info on this forum:http://forums.corral.net/forums/ see what these guys are running.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:07 AM

Last photo:

Considering my budget I dealt with some small time players. I dropped some emails to Edge, Dirtydog, and Revmax just for comparison giggles. Revmax responded to every email with 1 line - no problem because they just seemed like bottom line to me and their responses to questions such as STR proved this. I know their converters are red. That's it.

Alan at Dirtydog was just as short and when asked for details, I was redirected to the website which didn't answer the questions I had asked. I know his converters are good. The way he bashes every other company on the web and how little he responded to my detailed setup questions made me wonder.

Andre at Edge answered each email with a ton of details, which lead to more questions, which lead to more detailed answers.

I couldn't find ANY recent complaints of out of these choices. One of them got my money this morning. Care to guess? We all agree - answering email all day gets tedious. To me, email sorts out the business worthy of taking my money and determines when I pick up a phone and if they're "too busy" to take a moment, they're too busy to help me later.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:09 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine
mike mcgee at trickshift in weatherford texas. 817-221-2400

leave a message and he will get back with you.

this man knows his stuff and will not argue for one second. answer his questions and take his advice. he is the go to guy on trans in this area and builds his own converters .
I would have liked to had given him a chance had HR updated me via email as it normally does. I didn't catch your reply 'til a few hours too late...
Old 08-08-2011, 11:50 AM

Last photo:

Make sure you let us know how it all turns out.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdriv
Make sure you let us know how it all turns out.
Will do.

Step 1, when I built this thing (65 Mustang converted from 6 cyl) over a 2 year period, I intended to make a simple cruiser - scuff and shoot, beat it up around town, 275-300 hp, 2500 cheap stall converter, etc. Well... we all know how things get outta hand. It's now likely in the 370hp neighborhood, AFR heads, TF Stage 1 cam, nice paint, won't be parked within 1/4 mile of walmart, Baumann shift kit combined with a Transgo and it shifts like a bat out of hell.

Problem? It has no holeshot with 3.73s. The one time I tested it with an iphone app the 60ft was around 2.8 (yawn) with no tire spin with trap speed around 105 and high 13s. Not where I was headed with this thing. I suppose that's what happens when you take granny's torque converter and tweak it. You wind up with a tweaked grandma converter. I ordered up a 3200 stall with an STR of 2.45. Hopefully I'll be looking for some form of traction device next. I'll likely continue this at the end of next week when the new part comes in.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.