stall and gears - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-07-2013, 07:15 PM
Proud LOSER
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,799
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 54
Thanked 249 Times in 216 Posts
stall and gears

So my question is, 85 f-body, 355, 700r4, vette converter, internals upgraded, 327 gear. If running a cam such as comp 292, which will require a bigger stall, can you swap to a 3000 with the stock gear, given the 700's deep first it still leaves hard on a 26" tire. But how will the stall be affected by the gear in the real world?

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2013, 01:11 AM
F-BIRD'88's Avatar
Yada Yada Yada
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9,034
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 3
Thanked 359 Times in 355 Posts
You won't like it near as much as a 4.10 gear.
The 3.27 gears makes a stall feel much more slushy at small throttle inputs.
The dynoing effect is more noticable as the converter is loaded harder
and you are "on the converter" ( converter operating in stall mode for a longer time
as you accelerate. )

The 292 neads a 3500-4500 245MM lock up stall and 4.10's at last.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-08-2013, 01:24 PM
Proud LOSER
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,799
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 54
Thanked 249 Times in 216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88 View Post
You won't like it near as much as a 4.10 gear.
The 3.27 gears makes a stall feel much more slushy at small throttle inputs.
The dynoing effect is more noticable as the converter is loaded harder
and you are "on the converter" ( converter operating in stall mode for a longer time
as you accelerate. )

The 292 neads a 3500-4500 245MM lock up stall and 4.10's at last.
Perfect, that's what I wanted to know, car has a 268 in it now, and a "vette" converter ....not sure what a vette converter offers over a standard one but......it also has ported 920's on it and a performer, with a qjet, does have a good rods, and forged flat tops, kinda sounds like it needs heads and a performer rpm to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-10-2013, 02:02 PM
F-BIRD'88's Avatar
Yada Yada Yada
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9,034
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 3
Thanked 359 Times in 355 Posts
A "vette" TH700r4 converter is the same as the "IROC" and the "S-10" converter.
the stall is a bit higher 2200 rpm behind a 350. I had this converter in my th700r4.
(when I switched to a th-350 and 3600 stall it picked up 4.5 10th's)
There is a 4 letter ID code on these GM converters. I forget the code.
For the th700r4 a real deal 9"-10" 245MM true high perf high stall is the way to go.
The smaller converter is much much better.
If you want quick, get agressive with the the stall speed and gears even with a "268"
3500 is not too much at all. Most people wimp out and waste their money.

a 292H needs a 4000+ lock up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-10-2013, 04:00 PM
Proud LOSER
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,799
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 54
Thanked 249 Times in 216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88 View Post
A "vette" TH700r4 converter is the same as the "IROC" and the "S-10" converter.
the stall is a bit higher 2200 rpm behind a 350. I had this converter in my th700r4.
(when I switched to a th-350 and 3600 stall it picked up 4.5 10th's)
There is a 4 letter ID code on these GM converters. I forget the code.
For the th700r4 a real deal 9"-10" 245MM true high perf high stall is the way to go.
The smaller converter is much much better.
If you want quick, get agressive with the the stall speed and gears even with a "268"
3500 is not too much at all. Most people wimp out and waste their money.

a 292H needs a 4000+ lock up.
Spoke to the car owner last night and he said what you did, stalls around 2200-2400. For now he will leave the 268 in it and install the same profilers that I'm still waiting on lol. Then a performer rpm and a 750dp. Car has a "mid length" headers (which I assume are just Shorties) 2.5 to a flowmaster merge, then 3" single to a ravin muffler. I really wish it was spring, I'm curious to see what it runs with a lowely 323 gear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-10-2013, 04:25 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The Motor City
Posts: 246
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 10
Thanked 30 Times in 30 Posts
292

292 cam will need 4000-4500 stall with 4.10 gears to perform. Of course all of this is speculation because if your heads wont handle that cam or flow well, then that cam may perform worse than the smaller one. Everything in the engine relates directly to its surrounding components.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2013, 04:33 PM
Proud LOSER
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,799
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 54
Thanked 249 Times in 216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebit68 View Post
292 cam will need 4000-4500 stall with 4.10 gears to perform. Of course all of this is speculation because if your heads wont handle that cam or flow well, then that cam may perform worse than the smaller one. Everything in the engine relates directly to its surrounding components.
Forged flat tops, zero decked, pro-filer 195 heads. Airflow shouldn't be an issue. Its more trying to run a big converter with 323 gears. That's why he is staying with the smaller converter and 268 cam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
385ci/ 700r4 / 3k stall / 4.10 gears my87Z Engine 24 05-14-2009 10:17 PM
set up opinions on 700r4/3k stall/ ? gears my87Z Transmission - Rearend 10 05-13-2009 07:34 PM
advice,stall n gears mcmillen.17 Engine 7 01-14-2005 06:36 PM
Rear gears to use with a 3000 stall dion Transmission - Rearend 1 06-01-2003 09:43 PM
Is A Stall Converter For Me? What Gears Should I Run? 1973ChevroletNova Transmission - Rearend 1 05-20-2003 01:57 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.