Stall Question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2008, 09:54 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Stall Question

I am running a 381 with a TH350. I have a Comp Cam 268H High Energy cam with a Holley 650 dbl pumper and Edelbrock Performer intake. My question is can i use the stock converter with this setup or should i go to something like a 2200 or 2500 stall. What would be the benefits/disadvantages of both?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2008, 11:37 AM
NAVY VETERAN

Last photo:

I am in the middle of changing mine aswell
I would say to call TCI or the other guys and give them your specs.
I would suggest calling them because depending on who you talk to youll get a different answer everytime on what torque converter to use.
Then afte you talk to TCI call HUghes and see if both answers jive.
here is a write up from TCI.
Drivability concerns in choosing a torque converter - A performance torque converter should not compromise one aspect of car performance to achieve another. When investigating a converter purchase ask whether the particular torque converter being looked at may improve initial takeoff at the sacrifice of top end mph or other similar results, questions, etc. With the technology and product available today a buyer very seldom needs to sacrifice one area of performance to gain in another. However, without proper selection assistance or guidance (and with many under engineered products on the market today) it is unfortunate that many buyers end up with a product that does not best suit his needs or expectations. Too low a stall torque converter will not benefit the customer. If the user has an application which requires at least 3000 rpm stall and they purchase a 2000 to 2500 rpm stall range converter, it will normally not even give them the 2000 rpm stall. It will act very similar to the stock torque converter they just removed.why? Because the engine needs to operate in its optimum rpm range and since the chosen torque converter is below that range, it is not getting enough load from the crankshaft side to operate as designed. Symptoms include engine stalling when in gear at a stop, low stall speed, hesitation when going to full throttle, a "bog" when leaving from stop at wide open throttle. Too high a stall range torque converter will not benefit the customer. You will see this situation most often when the customer does not have sufficient gear ratio for the converter stall range or the engine is not capable of the appropriate rpm range (too small a duration camshaft, inadequate valve springs, too low compression, etc.) Symptoms include high "revs" to pull away from stop, "marshmallow" accelerator feel when driving at part throttle, transmission and possibly engine overheating, and a pronounced engine rev when nailing the throttle from a cruising speed.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:14 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightycarlo10
I am running a 381 with a TH350. I have a Comp Cam 268H High Energy cam with a Holley 650 dbl pumper and Edelbrock Performer intake. My question is can i use the stock converter with this setup or should i go to something like a 2200 or 2500 stall. What would be the benefits/disadvantages of both?

That cam was designed by Harold Brookshire i believe . It can be ran with the stock convertor . Not sure of your cars weight, or the gearing you have . This DOES play an important roll in convertor selection .

1,500-5,500 is the range for that cam . Thou a stock convetor will work as Comp even says , i'd contacta couple convertor company's . I'd tend to think you'd have a performance gain with a 2,200 to 2,400 convertor ( cam makes good torque there) .

You don't want to much higher on the convertor ( you may be to far into power range of the cam ) Not enough convertor may have a * Bog* off idle .

Dang i type slow ... Like dawg said , check with convert company's and get a feel that way.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:55 PM

Last photo:

I will contact some of those people, but just to add, the car weighs about 3800 lbs and has 3.42 gears and 27 inch tires.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:16 PM
NAVY VETERAN

Last photo:

heres something from TCI to help out

Full text: http://www.tciauto.com/Products/Converters/

Last edited by Jon; 01-22-2008 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Copy-pasting. Please see: copy-pasting guidelines.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.