Standard 3 spd for '52 Chevy pickup - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2011, 06:07 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Standard 3 spd for '52 Chevy pickup

I have a '52 Chevy pickup with a 292 I6 for which I'm trying to locate a decent transmission. I put out and ad and got an answer from someone saying they had a 3pd with OD from a 64 Impala. The numbers provided were 3345122 g1455. Can anybody help me identify this transmission so I know what I'm getting? Thank you very much in advance for any help provided.

-Greg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2011, 06:23 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

While I do not claim to be very knowledgeable about the AD series pickups ( like yours ) ... all of the ones I have seen have a enclosed driveshaft. The 64 Impala doe not have that ... so unless your pickup has already been converted over to a open driveline setup ... I do not believe the Impala transmission will work.

I believe I would contact Patricks Antique Cars

go here

http://www.patricksantiquecars.com/products.html

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 10-20-2011, 08:54 AM

I am replacing the whole drive train. From the 292 to a 10 bolt rear-end. I am just trying to make sure that this 3spd is what I'm looking for. Thank you for the reply and for the link.

-Greg
Old 10-20-2011, 09:32 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Your 292 uses all the Common transmissions found in the Chevies of the sixties. That trans will bolt up and so will a Muncie Four speed and a zillion other transmissions as far as I know. But I do know your 292 uses the common bellhousing found in all Chevy big and small block motors (Outside of the W motor I think).

Brian
Old 10-20-2011, 10:27 AM

I'm looking for a 3pd with O/D so I can keep the 3 on the tree. I just don't know by the numbers I was given (in my original post) if that transmission is what I'm looking for (SM319).
Old 10-20-2011, 12:05 PM

Last photo:

this could have been a Muncie 3spd with the drum-style synchros. LONG gone my friend. A saginaw will fit, aqs will most warners and even Muncie 4spds. I will caution you that saginaws are portly with their iron cases. Also, watch the spline count on the input and output splines to help with your adaptability.
Also be mindful of the bellhousing you need to use. Im no truck expert, I do know that I had a customer who put one of our ultra-wide ratio 4spds behind his 250ci and he needed a very specific bellhousing to make the transition easy. I'm not sure if this effects you or not, but it is something to make note of
Old 10-20-2011, 08:06 PM
68 Pontrolet

Last photo:

I know we are not answering your question in reference to those numbers, but here is some additional information.

You shouldn't have (m)any problems making it fit. But, as autogear stated, check the size of your bellhousing where the input bearing cover fits. Chevy had two different sizes; one for trucks and one for cars. You may need a different bellhousing is you have the larger holed truck bell. You can make a truck tranny fit an auto bellhousing by having the bearing cover turned down. There are also companies out there that sell a spacer to fit a auto tranny in a truck bellhousing. Couple of options anyway.

Also consider that if that is a 1965 unit, then it is a non-synchronized. I think the synchronized units were made from '65-'69. (Someone back me up on this...) The non-synchro units don't have a crossmember mount either.

My final guidance is to make sure the solenoid is included. I have an overdrive unit here at the house and have wasted too much money trying to find a solenoid that fits. I'm sure I could get it rebuilt if it didn't work, just can't find one that fits.

Here are some pictures. The smaller unit is the 66-69. The longer is from the older.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Housings.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	397.6 KB
ID:	59067   Click image for larger version

Name:	R10Q-1.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	353.8 KB
ID:	59068   Click image for larger version

Name:	R10H-1.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	323.1 KB
ID:	59069  
Old 10-21-2011, 05:07 AM

Thank you for all of the replies. It does help quite a bit with giving me things to look at. I'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger since they only want $75 for the tranny. BTW the 292 has a 350SBC bell housing on it which, as far as I know, should bolt right up to this particular transmission if it is in fact an SM319.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:29 AM
68 Pontrolet

Last photo:

For $75, I'd buy it too. If the solenoid is working, it might be worth $75 alone!

Will you post some pics if you get it?

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.