Hot Rod Forum banner

Star-ing fiberglass fenders

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  OneMoreTime 
#1 ·
I've got after market fiberglass fenders on my '49 Ford F-1 and they have developed some starring. I know rhino guard or similar coating underneath will stop futures but how to deal with already starred? My local body guys tell me the repair requires extensive depth repair to assure the starring doesn't return & advise me to buy new steel ones HOWEVER, they are not available anywhere! Are they right? Can't a thorough sanding and gel coat repair do the trick?

#2 ·
Your paint guy is right, this is a major undertaking if you have a lot of them.
Each one must be drimeled out and filled with resin to do a lasting repair.

I have seen shops glaze the whole fender with a glazing putty and I have seen shops shoot 2-3 coats of polyester primer, of course this is faster and cheaper but for long term lasting its a crap shoot.

#3 ·
Barry is right on, as usual.:D The repair is drastic, requiring deep penetration by a grinding mechanism then fill with chopped mat and resin. You need to coat the undersides of the fenders with something to take the impact of rocks and other things thrown up by your tires. :D

Vince

#4 ·
BarryK said:
Your paint guy is right, this is a major undertaking if you have a lot of them.
Each one must be drimeled out and filled with resin to do a lasting repair.

I have seen shops glaze the whole fender with a glazing putty and I have seen shops shoot 2-3 coats of polyester primer, of course this is faster and cheaper but for long term lasting its a crap shoot.
Ok, thanks Barry. Actually there are not a lot of stars ..maybe 12 at most over all the 4 fenders. But I want them to disappear forever.

#5 ·
Stars..

I have been following this thread for a bit..Now if these "stars are the result of say rocks hitting the inside of the fender and creating a crack in the surface I have found this to work..

Drill a small hole through the center of the star and then go on the inside of the fender with some 80 grit and rough up the area around the hole..then do a layup with glass and resin in the affected area..then sand the outside and lay down some gelcoat and then repaint the fender..

Doing the glass work is not all that hard and can be done by an interested party..

Once the fender is repaired then the application of one of the bed liner materials should help protect form re-occurence..

This sort of thing is done on a regular basis by glass shops..

OMT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.