start on frame or body first - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2011, 06:29 PM
baby beginner

Wiki Edits: 0

start on frame or body first

I want to know where to start because I don't have a vehicle to rat out but that's the easy part. The hard part is trying to figure out if I should set the body on the basic frame and chop, channel, and shave first or wrap the frame around the suspension first. Yes I am building my frame also. any help is much appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2011, 08:00 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I would think it would be good to have some kind of body as you need that to take the dimensions for the frame..

Sam
Old 09-09-2011, 08:43 PM
baby beginner

Does it matter if I go way back to the 30-50's or I was thinking about maybe a 60-70's chevy or ford truck. I know it may be a little wider than your avg. rat but I was thinking about narrowing it a little. Would it matter if I cut the cab up on top of 2x3 tubing to get the cab right? I plan on it being layed flat on the ground with bags anyway, or wait until I get the suspension. Or does it all have to be done at the same time? I can just stack all my materials until I get it all together or piece put it together as I go.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:54 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

What you need first is an idea what you want....and then a plan.....Sounds like you dont have either yet......I am sure it will come to you
Old 09-09-2011, 08:55 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

download a copy of the book by cboy and then work out a plan for what you want to do..lot of hours involved in one of these cars even if it is a rat..get as much as you can and then start with your build or you will be changing a lot of stuff..

Sam
Old 09-09-2011, 08:57 PM

Last journal entry: Heads and intake are finally off!!!!
Last photo:

What is a "rat"? I'm lost

is that an expression or something?
Old 09-12-2011, 04:13 PM
baby beginner

thank yall alot I appreciate the honest answers, I have plenty of thinking and planning ahead. I don't want to jump in and get overwhelmed too much. Oh I found a 53 ford truck complete. I will do more research before I start cutting it up. thanks again.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:42 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedball
What is a "rat"? I'm lost

is that an expression or something?
He means " RAT ROD "

Most rodders would consider these a " RAT ROD "
These are some of the better built ones

Most of them are poorly built, half ***** finished pieces of POO.
They are a disgrace to most rodders ... most who try to build a nicely built and detailed, safe ride.

Just my opinion ... your mileage may vary.

DEUCE ... Moderator

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 09-12-2011, 08:42 PM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

I have had the body off and on mine several times during the build. A 53 would be a pretty straight foreward truck to work on. The frame is simple and pretty easy to work with, relatively speaking.
I also agree that you need to decide what you want and exactly what direction your build will take. As cool as a bagged truck laying on the ground in the parking lot might sound to you, do you have the equipment and skills to pull it off? Even for some of us with the skills and equipment, designing a single system and getting the engineering and fabrication RIGHT can be a huge challenge and there are dozens of such systems to engineer. I can honestly say I have completely tore apart and started over on many aspects of my rod. I spent a good week of time on just getting the pedals exactly the way I wanted them, and had to rework where the steering wheel was a couple times in the process.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:31 PM
kc0kfg

Last photo:

The real question is what do you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkskunk
Does it matter if I go way back to the 30-50's or I was thinking about maybe a 60-70's chevy or ford truck. go.
I love them all, "rats" get a bad name by some but there are plenty of poorly built Rods muscle cars and pro streets as well.

What I would tell you is first accept your current skill level, but that can change and you can learn new skills.

2, Build what you want because you want it not because others like that style if you want to build a truck then do so, if you want a "T" with faux rust on a fiberglass body then build it.

3, Remember you don't have to do it all, there is no shame in farming something out to some one with more experience.

4. When you do decide on a project, the two places you can never over build is steering and brakes, make sure you can always steer and always stop no matter what you build.

5. Set goals, but always keep in mind its a hobby or a project. Life often gets in the way and projects get put on the back burner, there are many guys on here that have been building for years and years, my self included.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:11 PM
baby beginner

kc0kfg, I really like what you had to say I truly agree it is a hobby and safety is first always. I have built a few customs including import trucks layed on bags, big station wagon on bags and big rims, tuners etc. this is something I have always wanted to do because I wanted to be just like those guys walking around car shows explaining how to do this to the younger generation as myself. I respect all that is said whether good or bad. I don't ever build crap. I just have never built something from the frame up, especially something I respect so much.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:13 PM
baby beginner

I go pick up my 53 this weekend and still I don't have an answer on wether to start on the suspension or body first. I guess it doesn't really matter.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:59 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

I think it matters a bunch. You don't start framing a house before you do the foundation and you don't do the foundation until you know what is going to be placed on it. So the frame and suspension is your foundation and you know that a 63 Ford truck is going to be built onto it. Now you can plan your modifications to the frame/suspension to handle the modifications you plan to make to the body parts to get your desired results. You may just well be putting the Cab/bet on and off the frame/suspension just to keep from going too far down the road too only find things just are not going to work out the way you had it in your mind. Some times you will have top take a break from the frame/suspension to complete a cab/bed modification before you proceed with the frame/suspension mods.

Trees
Old 09-13-2011, 05:13 PM

Last journal entry: Heads and intake are finally off!!!!
Last photo:

Thanks for the explaining what RAT means. It's been a while since I have been into this. I never realized people actual built those on purpose.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:08 PM
baby beginner

Trees, thank you very much you answered my question. and yes people build them on purpose. I have wanted one for a long time and now I get to build it but I want to do it right but I guess there is no real "right" way to build it. plan and test and plan some more.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.