start my engine outside my car? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2005, 11:12 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

start my engine outside my car?

hello. i posted this a few hours ago in the ENGINE forum, but i dont know if it actually posted because i cant seem to find it. so here it is again...

i have a 64 corvair engine that i believe is good. it came out of a low mileage car and it is sitting w/o a trans at my shop. i have an auto trans for it, but they are separated. the engine has a lot of rat turds on it and in the oil cooler, and i cleaned it out the best i could. i looks pretty clean, and i was just wondering if i was able to hook it up outside the car to a batery or someting to see if it was working w/o having to take the time to put it into the car. it is a corvair, which is rear engined. but i dont know if there is a universal thing that i would need to do to the engine to see if it works outside the car.
well, thanks alot in advance

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2005, 02:48 AM
Rookie Builder....

Last journal entry: Getting Started...

Build a stand, hook up a cooling system, an exhaust, small fuel cell, battery, ignition system, wire it up and just giver.....worst comes to worst the motor might not work....if not...well at least you have a test stand for future set ups........
Old 06-13-2005, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPG juggalo
Build a stand, hook up a cooling system, an exhaust, small fuel cell, battery, ignition system, wire it up and just giver.....worst comes to worst the motor might not work....if not...well at least you have a test stand for future set ups........
just to test it to see if its going to run, theres not really even a need for cooling or a fuel cell.......just stick the gas line in a plastic gas can....have seen it done b4......and for a few seconds of running, cooling system is not needed.

just build a stand, get an ignition system, wire it up, put the stock exhaust manifolds on, and fire it up (if it will).........dont run it long though without a cooling system......unless your a fan of blown engines.....
Old 06-13-2005, 03:07 AM
Rookie Builder....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh469
just to test it to see if its going to run, theres not really even a need for cooling or a fuel cell.......just stick the gas line in a plastic gas can....have seen it done b4......and for a few seconds of running, cooling system is not needed.

just build a stand, get an ignition system, wire it up, put the stock exhaust manifolds on, and fire it up (if it will).........dont run it long though without a cooling system......unless your a fan of blown engines.....
yeah i guess its easyer said than done...thats how i test, tune and break in my motors so for me its worth it......but i guess if he just wants to see if it runs then the cooling and s**t aint needed.

I would use it anyways though just to make sure not to overheat....i get carried away with revving up my motors when i start them for the first time.

The Chances are that if the motor turns over and has compression it will run..
Old 06-13-2005, 06:01 AM

Last photo:

No need for a cooling system at all except a fan, Corvairs are air cooled
Old 06-13-2005, 02:54 PM
Rookie Builder....

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott
No need for a cooling system at all except a fan, Corvairs are air cooled
Really?

Well....ya learn sumtin new every day.....
Old 06-13-2005, 03:09 PM

sharp

Sharp kid that Elliot,most your age wouldn`t know it was air cooled,even if the were looking at it LOL. I agree, if compression is good it should run. buuuut an engine that old would be good candidate for an engine stand. lots of potential for major problems,much easier to fix on a stand. I have an old Buick 322 ,I plan to put on my repair/run stand to get it going "possibly" I am getting ready to test market a repair/run stand. I would appreciate some feedback,if interested contact me at jerkell34@gcctv.com. Thanks Jerry
Old 06-13-2005, 03:12 PM
Rookie Builder....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Kelley
I have an old Buick 322 ,I plan to put on my repair/run stand to get it going "possibly" I am getting ready to test market a repair/run stand. I would appreciate some feedback,if interested contact me at jerkell34@gcctv.com. Thanks Jerry
322.....i've never even heard of that...whats it outta?....either way i've always been a fan of Buick and Oldsmobile drivetrains...I'd like to here more about that
Old 06-13-2005, 05:42 PM

Last photo:

Check to see if your starter bolts to the transaxle bellhousing. That could be your biggest problem.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:38 PM

Last photo:

okay, so i will just get the ignition from the old corvair, hook it up, and hook it up to a battery, put the stock exhuast on it, and turn the key? and if i would need to give it gas(as do most my old cars when first started), i can just wiggle the carb right? and no need to hook it up to the trans just to get it started, right?
thanks alot again for the replies
Old 06-13-2005, 11:28 PM

Last photo:

do i have to hook up the trans at all? seeing thats were the started is located, shouldnt that be in there somehow? or would you just by=pass that somehow? sorry for not having that much know-how.
thanks againt
Old 06-13-2005, 11:31 PM

Last photo:

Grab the flywheel & see if you can turn it over by hand first. If not, spray some WD-40 in the spark plug holes & try to turn the flywheel back & forth to break loose any rust in the cylinders. You may have to do this every day for a few days before it comes loose.

Be sure to put some fresh oil in it before you try to start it.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:32 PM

Last photo:

lol, this sounds like its going to be fun trying to start it. i will make sure i have my video camera in hand when we try and turn it over and i will post the video if annything funny happens or anything explodes.
thanks alot for the help
Old 06-14-2005, 11:55 PM

nitsud08,
You will want to hook up the transaxle so you will have a place to mount the starter and cover the flywheel. You will need to hook up the "V" belt because that is what turns the cooling fan on the top of the engine. Have the engine sitting on some 4X4 blocks of wood so it does not "dance" all over the floor. I use a small gas tank from an old edger. These have gas shut-off valves and you can vice-grip it to a table leg or something. Gravity feed will work that way you do not have to buy a fuel pump. There are two carbs so you will need to "T" the gas line to each carb.

Good Luck and watch your toes
Scholman

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.