start problem with electronic igntn-help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2005, 07:56 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

start problem with electronic igntn-help

Switched over from points to a crane electronic ignition, may be coincidental, but ever since --- after the initial start(which seems to work fine) it drags, or seems to stall while I'm cranking it. I thought the battery was low- recharged--didnt make much of a diff- thought had too much advance- but only had 10 degrees initially - backed to stock of 7 degs (have a rebuilt,bored,cammed 390) still the same issue. if it sits a few days (and possibly builds a charge) on the first crank- its fires after a few revolutions. The next start- it doesnt matter if i drive it 6 feet , or 10 miles-------it will turn over- pause-turn-pause-turn,turn, pause- then fire. like the starter is bad? but all first starts are fine. Is the electronic igntn drawing more power than the battery/starter have to give? I think im hooked to a full 12volt start source. any advice?????? This is a 69 ford galaxie convertible- if that helps anyone. I really appreciate any thoughts on this

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2005, 01:01 AM

Last photo:

I don't think the crane module could cause this unless you didn't set it up right. I have one in my 289 and I didn't have any problems. It sounds like you either have a bad starter or too much advance. Does the vaccum advance move freely? Mine had a binding problem between the gromet and the new plates. Have you tried starting it with the vaccum line removed and plugged? Did the mechanical advance springs look normal when you were installing the module?
Old 09-17-2005, 03:02 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Things to check

1 battery, have it load tested
2 battery terrminals, take them apart and clean them
3 Distriburtor advance, could be sticking and taking a while to release.
4 Starter
5 Engine ground and starter positive conection

if you think ignition is causing it (over advanced) then yank the coil wire and try to turn it, see if the issue goes away.

bateries genearally dont "build back up" by themselves. Usualy what happens after sitting a while is the starter cools down anddraws less to crank.
Old 09-17-2005, 05:57 PM
a red wool sock on his dinger

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23
bateries genearally dont "build back up" by themselves. Usualy what happens after sitting a while is the starter cools down anddraws less to crank.

Actually a battery CAN build a charge if left alone, but
I don't think that is the problem here, I'd say you're running
on the battery, so do a load test on the alternator, It
sounds like it's not putting out enough amps/volts to
recharge the battery...
Old 09-18-2005, 06:22 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Battery

Doc here,

A battery will build a surface charge just sitting from low to to high, HOWEVER, this charge will only last a few seconds under a slow drain, and die right away after a high drain....

To check your advance condition..

Pull the battery wire from the coil and crank.. if it cranks normally, you have timing issues..Pull and plug the vacuum advance line to be sure it isn't holding the advance plate full advance..If you have a spark delay (one way vacuum valve) in that line pull it and run direct.

If it continues to "Bog" with the coil dead, you most likely have a bad solenoid.

Doc

Last edited by docvette; 09-18-2005 at 06:30 PM.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:38 PM

ill give it all a try---------but, the solenoid is new, the battery is new (when i say "new" it new since the rebuild - maybe 3-4 months and 200 miles) , my voltmeter shows 14 volts when running. Im not running the car long enough - most of the time- to cause a hot starter problem, but maybe thats the issue, im not allowing the battery to charge fully as im really just moving it in an out of the garage, etc----but, it didnt seem to have that problem with points installed.
although the battery then was much "fresher". It just seems too coincidental that it seemed to happen immediately after I installed the electronic ignition. I double checked my timing at that point thinking I had too much advance---but it showed 7degs w/o the vacuum adv. Ill check my battery, advance arm in the dist., and go from there. Thanks for the advice so far--keep it coming!

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.