start the resto - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2003, 05:19 PM
hungry cannibal, raving animal

Wiki Edits: 0

Post start the resto

well im just about to launch a full restoration on a 1967 camaro RS. I've never done this before, but I have some idea of what to do. The thing that is gonna be the hardest (at least for now) is to remove the rear quarters and replace them (I have the replacements). What is the best way to cut them off, cutting torch or pnuematic saw? Then how to attach them, MIG welder, right? Then what after that.
Any info would be great, thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2003, 07:02 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Hold your horses there. The way they are removed is by finding and CAREFULLY drilling out the factory spot welds. There will be one section that has to be cut at the top of the quarter between the door and rear glass. I would suggest a reciprocating saw with a fine blade. Just take your time and make sure you dont remove too much material where you have to make the cut. You are dealing with a work of art there.

Chris
Old 05-19-2003, 09:34 PM

Last photo:

Be sure to check for wires ect. and if you butt weld cut about 2 inch pice off of the top of your old quarter and place it under the old quarter leaving 1 inch for the new quarter to weld to and be sure not to cut your new quarter to short you need to have the new one to butt to the old one I hope you understand what Im saying and like Turbo sayed cut your old welds out frist
Old 05-20-2003, 07:17 PM

It's easier to if you cut the quarter off on the inside of the factory spot welded seams and remove most of the metal. Then go back now that you have access to the spot welds on the back section by the tail lights, the lower section between the fender well and the quarter panel as well as the metal between the truck and back window. I use a Plasma cutter now but before I used a cut off disc on my 4 1/2" grinder.

Joe
Old 05-21-2003, 05:48 AM

[quote]Originally posted by chevypunk:
<strong>well im just about to launch a full restoration on a 1967 camaro RS. I've never done this before, but I have some idea of what to do. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Planning, planning, planning and more planning. A big part of restoration is planning and budgeting. You wouldn't attempt to build a house without a set of plans. You also probably wouldn't attempt to frame a house or do the foundation yourself unless you had had some training.

Believe me, technically speaking, it easier to do a simple framing job, than it is to replace a quarter panel on a car, especially if you aren't competant with the tools and welding skills necessary to do the job. However, that doesn't mean you can't do it yourself. Just don't try to learn it on your Camaro.

What I would suggest is to check with your local Community College and see if they offer Autobody or Auto restoration courses. If you know someone in the business they may be willing to help you with a trade for labor. You could do simple work around the shop in exchange for their technical expertise and help. The body is what people will notice first. You want to make sure it's done right and you only wnat to do it once. TurboS10 is right, you're dealing with a work of art. Good luck.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.