Hot Rod Forum banner

start and run

686 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  75gmck25 
#1 ·
I have a Triumph Spitfire I am rebuilding. I have the chassis, motor, drive train, radiator etc all complete. The body has been a problem and is off the frame. I want to build a panel to hook up to the motor and start it now and then so it don't seize up. The body is stripped bare of everything. It has a carb, points, alternator and I have a gas tank on a stand for gravity feed. The mechanical fuel pump hole is blocked off. I just need a rudimentary start run setup on a piece of plywood. I have an '89 Mazda pickup and a 350 chevy motor but thats another project.

#2 ·
- Connect 12 volts (large cable) from battery positive to the starter large lug; also run a large ground wire from the battery negative to the alternator bracket.
- You can also use the starter as a junction to run a 12 volt line up to two toggle switches
-- Use on/off toggle to control the ignition and the alternator BAT line.
-- Use spring-loaded toggle to activate the starter

- Since you have points, you need two small wires from the starter (HEI only needs one).
--One is from the S terminal (start) and it runs up to a spring-loaded toggle to activate the starter.
--The other runs from the R terminal and it has a resistor in it. This provides full voltage to the ignition during starting, but drops voltage to the points down in run position. I'm not sure of the stock routing of this line, but I think its from the R terminal up to the distributor/coil.

-The toggle switched 12 volts line (in run position) should connect 12 volts to the distributor and to the excitor line on the alternator (its one of the lines in the double connector).

- The alternator needs three connections (I assume its a 10si or 12si).
-- Switched 12 volts on the excitor line of the small dual connector (from the toggle switch)
-- 12 volts constant on the BAT post (run a line to the starter junction)
-- 12 volts constant jumpered to the other line of the dual connector (you can buy a connector with this jumper built in

To start the vehicle
- turn on toggle switch - this applies 12 volts to the distributor and to the alternator excitor line
- push up the spring loaded toggle to put 12 volts on the S terminal on the starter; release when the engine starts.

Bruce

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.