Start from Scratch or Part-It-Out? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2007, 10:11 AM
Triple G

Wiki Edits: 0

Start from Scratch or Part-It-Out?

I just got back from the 10th Annual Goodguys PPG Nationals in Columbus, OH ... Wow! My visit got me thinking about my situation and I thought those on the board might have some suggestions/opinions, etc. So here goes:
Ever since I saw the movie "American Graffiti", I've wanted a '32 5-Window Coupe. If I had the funds to go out and buy one, I would ... but I don't. After going to the Goodguys event last year (9th Annual) I came home and decided I needed something to satisfy my Hot Rod NEED. I ended up buying a '23 Ford Model T Roadster (T-Bucket) from a local individual who made me a pretty good deal. (He sold me the car for about $8,000 less than it would have cost me to build) This car became my starter Hot Rod and while it's been fun driving it and going to local shows, I still want the '32 Deuce. After visiting with many suppliers/vendors, etc. while in Columbus, I got to thinking. Should I try & sell the T-Bucket out-right (as a complete car), use the funds towards a down payment on the '32 or part it out ... using many of the T-Bucket's parts to build my '32 Deuce? (I can't afford to have someone build me a car, but I'm thinking I could build my dream car myself) Comparing my T-Bucket to the '32's, I was amazed at how many of the basic parts are the same. I have a 350 Small Block Chevy (rebuilt & all chromed-out with sprint style headers), a TH-350 transmission, gauges, lights, battery, etc. I'm thinking I could buy a '32 "Rolling" frame package (rear-end/suspension/brakes,etc.) with a 5-window coupe body (window kit installed), add my goodies, plus all the missing parts (gas tank. paint, interior, drive shaft, steering column, wheels/tires, etc.), then turn around and sell what's left of my T-Bucket (basically a starter "rolling" T-Bucket package) I believe I have the mechanical talent to pull this project off, but I would need the outside help of others for such things as paint & interior work. I know this has been a long winded and unusual post, but I'm curious what you guys think and if any others have attempted this type of project??? I look forward to your responses. Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2007, 11:10 AM

I feel your pain! When I sold my Studebaker (well, my wife sold it, but that's another story) I realized I didn't have a hot rod to drive anymore. I had several project cars. I had to scramble to have a car ready to drive to Goodguys DelMar three months later. That car was in primer for 2 years until I could save up the money to have it painted. I made a vow then that I would never sell a car until I had a replacement DONE. I learned I'm not a primer car kinda guy. I takes me longer, but it's worth it in the end, to me. With your plan, you could be down for while, and back to spectator status until your 32 is done. If you're OK with that, then fine. I knew I wouldn't be. JMHO.
Bill
Old 07-16-2007, 11:24 AM

Last journal entry: 2 photoshoots.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Beam, I think what you have planned is a good idea. The only thing,as mentioned, would be the down time without a rod to drive. If you can handle it, cool. You already have a power plant, etc., so that would save a little time and money. I say give it a shot.

I'm working on a bucket and it is my first rod. I'm doing it a bit at a time due to cash flow, but I have accepted this and am not in a real hurry. I do what I can, when I can. I expect to be done next spring.

Oh, if you break down that bucket around Christmas, give me a PM. I'll be looking for a good body around that time.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:19 PM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I know where your comming from. I have more ideas in my head than money in my wallet, space in my garage or time on my hands.

I'd be cautious on stripping down your T bucket. I have no idea what yours is worth, but lets say $10,000 if you sold it. Now take the motor and trans out, do you think you could get $5,000 for a rolling chassis and body? How much of the T are you thinking of trying to reuse? Are the motor and trans worth $5,000? Could you recreate that combo for $5,000?

Not trying to be negative, but sometime your better off selling as a whole. Mabye steal off all the good stuff and put some cheap ebay parts back on and still sell the running T for $10,000. Or maybe buy a cheap running 350/350, clean and paint and plop it in to sell it.

I have thought about this myself. If I ever sold mine, I would put the low milage 302 back in the car and keep the high tech expensive motor for my next project. Luckily I'll have my wifes Mustang to drive while thats all going on. (guess I have to finish that first though )
Old 07-16-2007, 06:31 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

Quote:
Ever since I saw the movie "American Graffiti", I've wanted a '32 5-Window Coupe.
Me too

If you are digging that 32, I'd sell the T complete. A 32 with a single 4 barrel and modern looking chrome accessories just won't get you where you want to be. Don't know what the T has for wheels & tires but the Milner coupe didn't have pricey stuff.

I don't know about the rest of the guys here, but a generic sbc with a bare minimum of 3-2s, and a set of those pipes. And a VINTAGE set of valve covers.

Keep it simple just like the original builder of the Milner coupe did. Heck, I'd run in primer and without upholstery for a while if I could at least get my dream car.

I just started a 32 from a beat up old Cal car. I love building stuff so I settled for a rough one, but the part that needs to be good is workable.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:38 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

How soon are you wanting to get rolling? The tbucket will be hard to sell in the fall. How much can you get for it? More than 5 grand, I'd say sell it whole. Radiator is around 400, yours probably won't work in the 32. tbody with interior and windshield, decent paint, around a grand. The t's rolling chassis, about 600-1000. The running gear will set a guy back around 2 grand for your coupe, use the engine and trans out of the bucket and any other miscellaneous parts, you've saved about 2500. Tbuckets aren't an easy sell, to builders or buyers. Quality is hard to judge on many, I know a guy that has a show winner, he wants 18,000 for it, been wanting 18,000 for 4 years now. What your T is worth is important. Dan

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.