Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Started having a slight posi noise
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 01:49 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by big gear head View Post
Oil shouldn't be gray. It might have a lot of metal floating around in it. The Auburn is well known for this. As the Auburn wears the cones and differential case put a lot of powdered metal into the oil. I had a picture that I would post in a case like this, but I lost all of my pictures when Webshots sold out. The picture shows me dipping my finger into the bottom of a Chevy rear end housing with a worn out Auburn differential. The metal sludge in the bottom of the housing was about 3/8 inch deep.
Before I put the additive in, I sucked out 6 oz of oil to make room for the 4oz bottle.
I put the oil in a clean cup and swished a magnet around in there to see if it picked up any metal. It didn't. (I didn't however put a magnet down into the bottom of the housing.)

I then put the 4oz bottle in and topped it off with new oil.

So, is this gray oil anything to worry about? Is it typical of an Auburn after only 1,400 miles?

I could suck it all out and start over with new oil and 2 bottles of additive. Or go further and pull the pumpkin and clean everything up and re-install but would rather not do that work if it is overkill. What about going with a magnetic fill plug on the fill and clean it often. (This '55 housing doesn't have a drain plug on it.)

What would you do if you were me? I'm hoping you will say just stick to the plan in your first post here.