Started my interior project....had a question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2009, 08:10 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Started my interior project....had a question

So I got laid off 3 weeks ago and still no job .About 5 weeks ago someone rearended me in my daily driver a 95 Honda. Only damage it did was cracked the paint which I wanted to get fixed and put in a claim which they gave me a check for from a shop they had estimate. I had planned to get it painted but now I'm bored as I look for work so I thought I'd use part of that money for redoing my door panels which I think I am capable of doing since I've done alot of other custom work on my car.

Anyway thanks to the help from this board last year when I had planned to get this project started last week taking apart the door panels as I waited for the rest of the supplies to arrive. Now that everything is here I started putting the 1/4" landau foam on the stock door panel base that I was able to resuse and am doing a raised flame design...which is on there now.

What I wanted to know was is there anything special I need to do to help get the vinyl that I'll put wrapping on this one curved/rounded part of the door panel. I thought it might give me some difficulties and wanted to know ahead of time so I dont screw it up.

This are the pieces, showing a few close-ups so you can see the curves. I will be sanding btw:

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2009, 11:01 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

It will give you a huge amount of difficulty. Vinyl only stretches so much. What you want to do is something that is extremely difficult, especially the little tiny points on the flames, and the fact that the entire piece is small and curved and round. This project shouldn't be your introduction to interior work.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:39 PM

Maybe I didnt explain what I'm doing correctly. The flat portions not shown in the pics is going to have the flamed design. The part I'm showing here is just going to be sanded to scuff up the paint....hopefully getting most of it off and then wrapped in black ultraleather. I'm not doing any flamed design on the part shown

Here's a quickly done photoshop version of what the door panel will look like. The orange part is where the flames will be and done in Ultraleather. The part that is shown in black will be all in black ultraleather except of course the black plastic piece where the door opener is.

Last edited by Flaminbird; 06-03-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:42 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Good. Then you will have no problem. Make sure you scuff both surfaces of the closed cell foam so the glue holds to it. On the piece you showed first, only glue down the center of the piece and the center of the Ultraleather. Attach the Ultraleather and let it dry for a day. Then come back and stretch it over the back side of the piece. The piece is convex, so you shouldn't have any problem with stretching it over.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:37 PM

Thanks for the reply Dan and sorry I didn't explain what I was doing clearly. Would I need to use the foam on those plastic parts I posted a pic of....its the one's that hold the speakers...in my initial post. I was planning on just wrapping the vinyl straight over the plastic.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:57 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

You would be better off just putting the vinyl or Ultraleather on without the closed cell foam.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:34 AM

That's what I thought. One more question and I promise I wont bother anyone anymore Should the vinyl that is going over the foam flames be cut bigger then the original cloth that was on the flat panel? I was going to use that as a pattern but then got to thinking it needs to be slightly bigger to allow for the raised area. I wasnt sure if I was to stretch it over that or just allow it to lay without any stretching over the panel whatsoever. I know I am to start in the lowest area first of the foam flames. I had searched for an answer to this on the internet yesterday and was unable to find out.

Thanks again and sorry to keep asking questions.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:32 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Make it bigger. You can always cut some off...........you can't ever make it bigger.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:59 AM

That's what I thought. Thanks again for all the help . I'll post pics of it when I'm done.....if it comes out correctly that is

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.