Hot Rod Forum banner

Starter

599 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  docvette 
#1 · (Edited)
My 71 truck starter went out. I went underneath the truck and there were only two wire hooked up. I think there should be three: Hot wire (battery); green wire (ignition) and black wire for ground. Am I right.

Editing this as I just notice I should have posted this concern on electrical, but if anyone wants to reply, please do. Thanks

#2 ·
There should be a large red cable {4 gauge, main power & always hot}, a medium red or pink cable/wire{10 gauge, only hot when cranking} and possibly a smaller green wire {used on points ignitions, hot when cranking}.

#3 ·
I'm guessing we are talking about a GM truck...would be nice to not have to guess.

There should only be 2 wires on it. The big battery cable and a smaller (12ga.) purple wire going to the IGN. terminal (assuming the wires are still factory). No other wires were put on the starter in those years (like it should have been :thumbup: ).

#4 ·
Doc here, :pimp:

The solenoid Should have the following:

The big main battery cable going to the big bolt on the solenoid AND (usually) a 10 gauge fuse link and wire feeding the main fuse buss for the car and alternator (may be located at a single terminal or at the battery also)

The Start or solenoid energize wire to the "S" Terminal located on the far left of the solenoid.

The Secondary Ignition wire located on the far right of the solenoid to the "R" or "I" terminal.

The ground is supplied by mechanical contact of the starter and mount on the rear (if included)

Which makes it important that all the main grounding go at or near the starter on the block, with a secondary cable going to the frame ,a 4 or better gauge wire with 3/8 rings on both ends.

From the same block bolt you will want to run 2 ~ 10 gauge wires , one to the firewall, the other to the alternator ground lug or mount bolt. Use star washers and burnish all paint.

This is how it should be..

Doc :pimp:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.