Starter compatibility - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2010, 11:29 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Starter compatibility

Hey guys, swapped out the old broken starter mount 327 and put in a roaring 350, like a good portion of people i'm losing the battle to heat soak.

1. Tryed installing ford solenoid and it ended up dying its mayden trip and just buzzed when I turned the key ( had to rewire it to the delco starter in the parking lot)

2. Bought a mini starter from ebay from a "fatrodder" it was very faulty and just clicked most of the time (even when cold), tryed getting warranty they say "call you back in 24 hours or less" its been 3 days

3. Put a heat shield but being a camaro the heat shield is a cm away from the headers

Now I'm going to try this , buy a starter from a 196 gm vehicle ( one of the minis that they come with) from oreilly's and wrap the header with header wrap, heres the big question, can I use the starter from a newer vehicle?

its a 153 tooth 350 with a th400

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2010, 03:17 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Depending on a few things, the battle your fighting is due to you need a 168 tooth flexplate. the smaller 153 is used on dirt low compression, small cubic inch engines. you have to remember, the starter and flexplate combo is gear reduction, since the flexplate is large and the start gear is small, the more teeth on the flexplate the more reduction and the more reduction the easier it is on the starter to turn the engine over. I had to deal with a instance like this long ago, a 153 tooth flexplate and starter were installed on a high compression 350 engine, after it got to temp, the starter would drag trying to start it, didn`t matter what you did either. Monster battery, excellant cables, tried it all to no avail. That`s why I say it depends on a few things, if your 350 has a decent compression ratio the starter is straining it`s guts out trying to turn over that much mass due to the small flexplate. One last thing I can recommend to do and check over and if the problem isn`t solved I would move up to a 168 tooth flexplate and a staggard mount starter.
Check the distributor mechanical advance, make sure it`s not sticking open, make sure it don`t stick period, as I`ve seen some have 1 hard spot.
Improve the grounds. Grounds are often overlooked but are very important. A ground to the alternator bracket don`t cut it. I run a ground directly to the block and clean the grounding points. I run another ground from block to frame. I make sure all the factory grounds are present and connected. Make sure there`s a ground running from the firewall to the engine also. Sometimes the main starter wires that have a fusible link become corroded internally and this lowers the voltage going to the starter, replacing them corrects the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.