Starter Is Driving Me Crazy.....Help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2008, 10:27 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Starter Is Driving Me Crazy.....Help

I have a '68 Chevy truck. The truck sat for awhile and now when I go to start it, the starter wont disengage. I have to jump out and disconnect the battery to get it to stop.

I first replaced the ignition switch, since that was easy. I replaced it with an NOS ignition switch. It didn't help at all.

Next I pulled the starter. I took it to Napa and it bench tested o.k. I heard they can still be bad when they bench test o.k., so I took the original starter in to get a rebiuld and a new solenoid.

I installed the rebuilt starter and the problem still occurs.

I'm out of ideas here. I wouldn't think it was a shimming problem, since this is the original starter that worked fine on the truck at one time.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2008, 11:16 PM

Last photo:

Try to narrow it down a little for me here.

Does it keep cranking after you turn the key to start, then back to run?

Or does it stop cranking but stay engaged in the flywheel?

There is no relay between the switch and the soloniod so that won't be a problem.

There should be a large purple wire going to the "S" (start) terminal on the solonoid. That wire goes directly to the neutral safety switch (automatic) or maybe to a switch on the clutch pedal, then up to the switch. I assume this switch is dash mounted? and not in the column?

I've seen this before and it's always been EITHER the switch sticking inside OR the solonoid sticking, keeping the contacts "contacted" inside.

When it's doing this, have you tried smacking the starter with a hammer? I've done that before and it will usually stop cranking. At that point I know the solonoid is toast.

Let us know what you find.

Mark
Old 06-15-2008, 11:58 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Look at the starter bendix drive gear shaft and starter nose cone. There should be a small bushing on the shaft to limit the travel of the starter gear bendix.
If that shaft bushing is missing, the starter bendix will over extend and won;t return when you release the ignition key from "start" to "run". The starter gear will stay meshed with the flywheel unless you wack it with a hammer.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:04 AM

Last photo:

Another thing came to me this morning. If the car is a "points ign vehicle", there will be a small wire on the "I" terminal of the solonoid. "IF", somehow, that wire ended up on the "S" terminal along with the cranking wire, it will cause the same problem.
On a points vehicle, that wire sends full battery voltage to the coil to aid in starting. If it ended up on the "S" terminal, once you start cranking, it will be sending 6 or 7 volts TO the solonoid and that is enough to KEEP it engaged when you release the key. Once the car is off, it's not enough to activate the solonoid, but will keep it going once engaged.

Mark

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.