Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - starter/electrical problem
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2006, 06:28 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

starter/electrical problem

I have a 1980 transam with a small block chevy and hei ignition with a msd ignition module. I just dropped the motor in and im getting ready to start it up and i have nothing. The battery is charged, the battery cables are good, and im sort of confused.

my dvom is broke right now so i cant do a whole lot of diagnosing. however, i took the wire that goes to the s terminal and put it to the battery, and with the key in the start position and headlights on the headlights came on so that tells me that the ignition switch, and starter solenoid are fine. My question is, when i had my pontiac motor (350 hei), i had one wire going to the s terminal and one going to the battery terminal. should i have something like the bottom diagram of the 2 below?

I know im not getting power to that wire when i have it on the s terminal but i dont understand why; it worked fine with the other motor. i have to find the wire on the other side of the ignition switch but im assuming it just goes into the main power source. i dunno, im kind of confused, and im sure im looking over something simple. please help!