Hot Rod Forum banner

Starter flexplate clearance

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  johnsongrass1 
#1 ·
Guys:
I have looked in the archives and online but cant find an answer to my question here goes I just installed my new Stroked 350 and new Mad Dog 700R4 everything is new and the flexplate was balanced to the rotating assm. The problem is when running the flexplate taps the end of the starter. When I was installing it I could not tell which side faced the engine and which side faced the trans. I currently have the crank boss indentation on the engine side and am thinking I may need to pull the trans and swap. Any comments before I go thru all that work? How is the flexplate to be installed?

#2 ·

Opposite of the way you have it now ... ;)

I always have the little indentations for the flex plate bolts going to the rear of the car ... towards the transmission ... or the side you see in the photo ... towards the engine ...

:D

#3 ·
Deuce said:

Opposite of the way you have it now ... ;)

I always have the little indentations for the flex plate bolts going to the rear of the car ... towards the transmission ... or the side you see in the photo ... towards the engine ...

:D
Thanks for the answer If the way you show it is facing the motor and away from the trans that is the way I currently have it so I took the converter loose and rotated it one position and re bolted and currently it seems to be OK I will have to test drive when I get it all together and see if it stays that way.

#7 ·
Quite common for the mini starters to not disengage the pinion far enough and it's hits the ring gear while running. The answer is to shim the startetr motor from the aluminum mounting block. Not to be confused with the block mounting pad. .060 to .140.

#8 ·
johnsongrass1 said:
Quite common for the mini starters to not disengage the pinion far enough and it's hits the ring gear while running. The answer is to shim the startetr motor from the aluminum mounting block. Not to be confused with the block mounting pad. .060 to .140.
Thanks! I hadn't thought of that and it is so simple! I was actually thinking of turning down the length of the starter gear but the shim makes soo much more sense. :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.