Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Starter Gear to Flexplate clearance

5K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  69612 
#1 · (Edited)
Is there a maximum clearance from the end of the starter gear to the flex plate? I've seen minimum of 1/16" - 1/8". I am having problems installing the starter, Powermaster 9100 into a 350/350 combo. I have about 1/4". It looks like it engages by a little over 1/2 of the flex plate tooth

Also what if any runout can be expected on the flex plate. I am concerned that maybe the torque converter didn't seat properly and is bending the flexplate. It did go in easy though!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Is there a maximum clearance from the end of the starter gear to the flex plate? I've seen minimum of 1/16" - 1/8". I am having problems installing the starter, Powermaster 9100 into a 350/350 combo. I have about 1/4". It looks like it engages by a little over 1/2 of the flex plate tooth

Also what if any runout can be expected on the flex plate. I am concerned that maybe the torque converter didn't seat properly and is bending the flexplate. It did go in easy though!
Try a stock starter on to diagnose - you can take it back to the parts store. I've seen those small aftermarket ones have problems. I actually had one from Summit where the drive was too tight to the flex plate. Standard starter was just fine. Maybe you need the one that I had! :)

#5 ·
That starter is a complete piece of junk. I screwed around for 3 hours trying to get one to engage properly consistently. It moves on the bolts after every engagement. The bolts are junk too. Send it back and get one with a real nose cone and staggered bolt mount, as long as your block is drilled/tapped for that. Use original bolts with the shoulders too, too prevent it from walking.

I had my customer exchange it for a different Powermaster like I described that worked perfectly and wasn't full size. I don't see it on Summit now...:( and I don't remember the number of the starter he got. I can ask him for it.

#6 ·
there are DIFFERENT starter bolt sizes.. 81 and earlier blocks use 3/8-16.. 82 up blocks use 10MM..

3/8= .375" 10MM = .394 thats 0.019 difference..

GM starters also CENTER on the KNURLED area of the starter bolt.. right at the mounting face. you will note that the starter bolt holes are counter bored into the block and that when you stick the starter bolts thru the housing. you will see that the knurl sticks out about 1/3 of the way.

warning.. you may have serious issues if you attempt to put Metric bolts in a early block.. usually you will break the ear off the block.. or break the bolt off in the block.. so please identify the thread size in the block you have.. 3/8-16 or 10m x 1.5 3/8 starter bolts have stripes on the head.. metric starter bolts will have 10.9 or 12.9 numbers on the heads.

i think in the picture above there is an issue..

please remove the torque converter bolts and see if the torque converter is free to rotate without the flywheel.. free to slide forward and backward in the pilot hole in the back of the crank.. sometimes paint or a pilot bushing prevents the torque converter center hub from sliding in and out..

if the torque converter won't slide forward to touch the back face of the flex plate.. you have an issue.

if the flex plate pulls back when you tighten the torque converter bolts.. you have an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.