Starter or ignition switch? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2004, 10:53 PM
Kill It & Grill It

Last journal entry: New door panels
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Starter or ignition switch?

OK i got the engine put in my car and everything ready to go. I went to start up and cranked over like the battery was dead. well i know i didn't have a good enough ground so i fixed that. Well after trying to start the engine i would let off the key and it would go to on, but starter was still engaged and would still spin till battery was disconnected. thought it was starter so put a different one on but same thing happens. The battery is on the charger now because it is dead but would a low battery cause the starter to stay engaged or would the starter be bad or key switch? Tomorrow im going to try a push button start and see with the key on if i can start it with the push button and it disengage. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2004, 11:59 PM

Last photo:

Go over your wiring again and make sure it is 100% bang on. I actually got to see this happen with a guy in an 88 mustang gt today at work. Starter just span and span, it would start, then die, then start then die,then after oh.. 3 minutes, the battery was dead so he had to bomb start it.. He had 2 girls push, It was funny as hell ... sorry novaman....I doubt its the starter, since it's new. The only way a starter can keep "On" is if it has power still going to it... I'd check your ignition wiring back to front.

James
Old 08-12-2004, 05:51 AM
Kill It & Grill It

Last photo:

Ok. Its not a new starter but i know they both work because they come off of running cars that would start. Im going to try a push button starter first and see if it will disengage after that because the key switch had given me problems before so im thinking its going out,
Old 08-12-2004, 11:18 AM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

hmmmmm. your logic astounds me. replace the switch and quit fking around. that might be tough. try this link to www.nastyz28.com search for steering column. there is an exploded diagram there. it should work for your car if that's your nova in your journal. you need to take off the wheel and bust out a little tiny slot that is next to a hole. you will have to put the screwdriver in the newly made hole (unless it's been done before) and push down on a button to get the switch out. it aint easy. you better do a real thorough search on that website in the interiors forum and you will find better explanations and even some pictures of where to bust out the hole near the switch cylinder. this is a nasty job. since you are 17 i would suggest you find someone who has done this before, or hotwire it with a switch under the dash till you meet someone who can do it. dont even try it till you get the above information on what to do

Last edited by bullheimer; 08-12-2004 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:19 AM
Kill It & Grill It

Last photo:

ok with the push button it still stays engaged. On the solenoid there are 2 posts 1 big one little. The wire on the little post goes to ignition switch right? Ok if the ignition switch was bad and i used a push button starter with the ignition switch still running to the solenoid would this cause the starter to stay engaged? What im saying is should i try starting it with the ignition switch unhooked from starter?
Old 08-12-2004, 11:24 AM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last photo:

yes. try everything to get out of having to do the above switch replacement. i wonder how much a local key shop would charge you?
Old 08-12-2004, 12:19 PM

Last photo:

I gotta go with bullheimer on this one..your ignition is to the right of the cellanoid switch, when the key is turned over it opens the circuit to allow power to come in... it might be toast. It sounds like a wiring problem to me. Trace out all the wires and label them with tape and a marker just to make sure they all hooked up right.

James
- Drive it Like it's stolen -
Old 08-12-2004, 12:34 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last photo:

you can search this site and get the right wiring diagram. if you still need help and do have to take off the switch pm me and i can get you the link to the diagram, but you will have to search for the info/pics on where to make the hole and the removal procedure. i just did this on my camaro last month
Old 08-12-2004, 01:05 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

STARTER

I did not see any where what kind of a car your working on??? Maybe i just missed it...

I am going to assume it a gm car... The post on the center of the starter solenoid is the battery post the small one towards the block is the start post. If you remove the stock wire from the start post and hook your push button switch to that post and the starter stays engaged after you release the push button, the starter is the problem... If you do it this way you have eliminated the wiring....

Every time i have seen this problem it has been the starter solenoid.........

Keith
Old 08-12-2004, 04:14 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Re: Starter or ignition switch?

Quote:
Originally posted by Novaman78
OK i got the engine put in my car and everything ready to go. I went to start up and cranked over like the battery was dead. well i know i didn't have a good enough ground so i fixed that. Well after trying to start the engine i would let off the key and it would go to on, but starter was still engaged and would still spin till battery was disconnected. thought it was starter so put a different one on but same thing happens. The battery is on the charger now because it is dead but would a low battery cause the starter to stay engaged or would the starter be bad or key switch? Tomorrow im going to try a push button start and see with the key on if i can start it with the push button and it disengage. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
[color=yellow]Doc Here

I don't know if I'm reading this right or not, but It sounds like the "R" and "I" terminals on the solenoid are reversed or shorted...power backfeeding from the coil in "run" to the "I" terminal instead of the "r" terminal would keep the starter engaged all the time

Could this be your case?

hope it helps

Doc
[/color]
Old 08-12-2004, 07:34 PM
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!

Last wiki edit: Improving fuel economy
Last journal entry: Finally on the road
Last photo:

Good idea Doc, I was just going to suggest that. He never said his engine started, and how many ppl pause at 'run' when they start their cars?

It's really easy to get the solenoid terminals backwards, especially in the excitement of putting a new motor in. I've even put the wires backward on a solenoid myself, but it was the battery cable on the starter side, not the starter/ignition wires.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:34 PM
Kill It & Grill It

Last photo:

I took the stater to a local shop and they said the gear was nt coming out all the way out like its supposed to. And it sounds "dry" inside. I am think it is the solenoid because the wire from ignition switch doesn't stay hot and with the button the starter still stays engaged. And no the engine never started.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:29 AM

Last photo:

Similar Problem

yeah i got a 72 and we're having a similar problem we've already changed the cellanoid, alternator, ignition swith, and voltage regulator and it still won't start, but now we think that when we put in the new ignition switch it was in the on position instead of the off, we still havn't changed it but it's worth a try...
Old 02-20-2006, 12:10 AM
you lift,you lose!

Old thread but i gotta throw in my 2 cents...all else fails, put in a button,use the key to turn on you elec system,ie:lights,blinkers,wipers.gauges,etc...but most important...get a sticker made that says "protected by Smith & Wesson"...i'm not sure if they had steering locks in 78...
Whats the odds of haveing a 78novaman & a Novaman78????
Kimo
Old 02-20-2006, 01:48 AM

I had the same problem turn it over and it would just keep cranking all by itself.
Turned that the starter needed to be shimmed 'cause it was to close to the flywheel and the bendix would bind get stuck and keep the starter spinnin' drove me nuts. Although I would check the wiring first.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.