Hot Rod Forum banner

Starter makes 1 click on startup

11K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  adantessr 
#1 ·
I have a 65 impala, and just put in a rebuilt 327 and 350th trans with no miles on either. When I turn the key, it makes a single clicking sound. I turn again and only 1 click again.. Sometimes it will start up the first time, other times it takes 10 times... The wires to the starter are brand new, along with the battery, and battery cables. I have tried 3 starters, and its always the same problem.. One time I will be able to start with first click, next time it may take 10... I cant figure out what the problem is, because like I said it does start up, so I know its not the starter or battery... Anyone have any clues?

#5 ·
When you say "click" do you mean just a slight "tap" or does it sound really solid like maybe the starter is not completely engaging the flywheel teeth? A solenoid problem would make a lighter sound than the starter binding on the flywheel but obviously the solenoid itself is OK. This really sounds like an alignment problem causing the starter to bind.

Timing could not be an issue until the engine was already cranking and trying to start.

#6 · (Edited)
I am not sure if it is a tap or click (since i have never had this problem before), but I can clearly hear it when sitting inside the car; so maybe that is a click?

We put the engine together before dropping it in the car, and the teeth were not lining up very well, so we added a shim and it lined up right in the center of the the flywheel teeth.

*edit*
This is how the flywheel teeth and the starter line up (see attached pic)

Attachments

#7 ·
Well today I went out there, and completely cleaned the battery cables, battery, and all ground connections, but it did the click again, and eventually started up. We drove to the gas station about 2 miles away, put in gas, and came back home. Right after we shut it off, we tried to start it back up again, and nothing. No clicks, no nothing... Im not sure if its hot and the solenoid froze for now, or maybe its an alt or battery problem? The battery is brand new, but the alt is an old one (not quite sure on how old, but looked old...). We could turn it like we were going to start it, and the electric fan could kick on, and we could turn the headlights on and such, but no turning of the starter, or even any clicks.. I was gonig to buy a ignition switch and alternator and try that out, could that be the problem?

#8 ·
If the lights come on and the fan is running then the battery is not discharged so the alternator is not the problem nor would the ignition switch likely be at fault as long as the starter is trying to engage. If it is doing nothing at all it could be a switch problem but considering your previous problem the switch is not likely to be the trouble. Checking the switch is simple enough so you need to do that before buying parts, if you don't have a volt meter now is a darn good time to buy one. It does not have to be an expensive meter, less than ten bucks at Wally World or the like, just something that can check voltage and resistance. Check these parts out before buying anything because it sure can get expensive buying parts you don't need and that can easily happen when you are just guessing.

#9 ·
Today I went out there and tried to use the multimeter the swtich, and this is what I got:

BAT - 12v
IGN - when cranked it was at 10 *or close to it*
SOL - when cranked it was at 10 *or close to it*

I didnt have the accessory wire connected because whoever owned the car before us went crazy wtiht the wiring... :nono:

I dont get any noise at all from teh starter... This is the 4th one we've tried, and now its stuck out on the street.. :mad:

#10 ·
ericrcan said:
Today I went out there and tried to use the multimeter the swtich, and this is what I got:

BAT - 12v
IGN - when cranked it was at 10 *or close to it*
SOL - when cranked it was at 10 *or close to it*

I didnt have the accessory wire connected because whoever owned the car before us went crazy wtiht the wiring... :nono:

I dont get any noise at all from teh starter... This is the 4th one we've tried, and now its stuck out on the street.. :mad:
I know you said that the battery is new but , a fully charged 12volt battery is closer to 13 volts . I'd check your meter against a known good battery . Then check it against your battery again . When you get it started , check the voltage at the large terminal at the alternator . You should get from 13.9 to 14.7 volts after you have been running a few minutes and the battery comes back up . It doesn't take full voltage to run accessories but is sure does to crank the engine . Good luck and keep us posted .

#20 ·
oldred said:
Amazing what you can do with the info you can get from a simple voltmeter, sure beats guessing (and a lot cheaper too)! :)
Couldn't agree more oldred . I have just a cheap radioshack digital multimeter that my wife got me for father's day years ago and I have even used it to find out why my home A/C unit wasn't working . Fixed it my self :) . Couldn't get a tech to come out .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.