Starter motor has me stumped! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-09-2011, 07:43 PM
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: Bringing home the 401 Nailhead
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 381
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Starter motor has me stumped!

Just a regular GM starter with attached solenoid. It acted up twice last season but now it does it all the time. When I bump the starter with my remote starter or the key and let go the starter continues to turn the engine over untill I disconnect the battery. I suspected the solenoid so I cleaned the contacts to no avail. I installed a new solenoid. Same thing. I disconnected all the wires except the hot from the battery and bumped it with the remote. Still continues to turn the engine over. I thought maybe it was binding against the flywheel somehow and not letting the bendix retreat even though I have had it out a dozen times and cleaned everything. I even left it loose on the bolts but still continued to crank the engine till I disconnected the battery. The bendix does retreat if the engine fires.

It does work fine on the bench. I am stumped and welcome any suggestions.

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-09-2011, 08:09 PM
eloc431962's Avatar
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty
 
Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: back in the garage.
Posts: 13,762
Wiki Edits: 37

Thanks: 50
Thanked 28 Times in 24 Posts
Sounds like the ignition switch to me. JMO
Is your battery up to full charge also ?

Cole

Last edited by eloc431962; 05-09-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-09-2011, 08:32 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Westminster Md.
Posts: 18
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjude076
Just a regular GM starter with attached solenoid. It acted up twice last season but now it does it all the time. When I bump the starter with my remote starter or the key and let go the starter continues to turn the engine over untill I disconnect the battery. I suspected the solenoid so I cleaned the contacts to no avail. I installed a new solenoid. Same thing. I disconnected all the wires except the hot from the battery and bumped it with the remote. Still continues to turn the engine over. I thought maybe it was binding against the flywheel somehow and not letting the bendix retreat even though I have had it out a dozen times and cleaned everything. I even left it loose on the bolts but still continued to crank the engine till I disconnected the battery. The bendix does retreat if the engine fires.

It does work fine on the bench. I am stumped and welcome any suggestions.
HeyJude. (That should be a song) If you disassemble the starter you will probably find that the twist area of the shaft is dry or worn and binding the drive once it sees pressure, or, it could be the inside of the drive where it slides on the shaft. I've seen it a number of times as has anyone who's not just a parts hanger. Clean the shaft and, if it's not too worn, lube it a bit, check inside the drive also where there are several little nubs that ride in the twists of the shaft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-09-2011, 08:42 PM
EOD Guy's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,996
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 119 Times in 110 Posts
factory or after market remote starter? Might be your problem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-10-2011, 03:49 AM
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: Bringing home the 401 Nailhead
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 381
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eloc431962
Sounds like the ignition switch to me. JMO
Is your battery up to full charge also ?

Cole
Thanks but I took the ignition out of the equation when I disconnected all the wires from the starter except the positive battery cable. My remote starter is just a jumper across the solenoid contacts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-10-2011, 03:51 AM
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: Bringing home the 401 Nailhead
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 381
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD Guy
factory or after market remote starter? Might be your problem
What I am calling a remote starter is just a switch that you squeeze and it jumps the contacts of the solenoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-10-2011, 03:54 AM
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: Bringing home the 401 Nailhead
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 381
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjoy427
HeyJude. (That should be a song) If you disassemble the starter you will probably find that the twist area of the shaft is dry or worn and binding the drive once it sees pressure, or, it could be the inside of the drive where it slides on the shaft. I've seen it a number of times as has anyone who's not just a parts hanger. Clean the shaft and, if it's not too worn, lube it a bit, check inside the drive also where there are several little nubs that ride in the twists of the shaft.
Thanks. I checked and lubed the shaft but never thought to remove the drive and look at the inside. You may have just solved it. Will check this evening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05-10-2011, 12:54 PM
vicrod's Avatar
life is a ride
 

Last journal entry: 2014
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Telford, PA
Age: 71
Posts: 1,306
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 56 Times in 52 Posts
Also check the return springs.

vicrod
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
starter motor e5150ryco Electrical 2 04-09-2011 03:38 AM
Im stumped! motor cranks but wont start BluOX Engine 48 02-12-2011 06:57 AM
Stumped! Need help with stumbling TPI motor DaSouthWon Engine 53 10-27-2008 09:34 PM
Stumped...Motor clsscsb Engine 7 03-16-2004 12:44 AM
need a starter motor FoxThunder 5.0 Hotrodders' Lounge 1 02-21-2003 12:03 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.