Starter post too short? Ring terminal too thick? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 05:56 AM
valve monkey

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Starter post too short? Ring terminal too thick?

Trying to finish up the wiring on my LSx powered '36 Chevy sedan. In running the positive lead from the battery (in the trunk) I ran into an issue on the starter end. The copper ring terminal on the cable is too thick (about 3/16") to share the post with any other wires (there's another one that also goes to that post). What's the easiest solution?

1. Have a new, thinner terminal crimped on

2. Something else?

Thanks,

Richard

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2012, 06:24 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinistrV6 View Post
Trying to finish up the wiring on my LSx powered '36 Chevy sedan. In running the positive lead from the battery (in the trunk) I ran into an issue on the starter end. The copper ring terminal on the cable is too thick (about 3/16") to share the post with any other wires (there's another one that also goes to that post). What's the easiest solution?

1. Have a new, thinner terminal crimped on

2. Something else?

Thanks,

Richard
The other solenoid terminal (going to the starter motor) isn't longer, is it? If it was, either the solenoid is upside down or the terminals were swapped during assembly.

Short of taking the solenoid apart and replacing the lug w/a longer one (should be copper or at least brass), one way is you could use a piece of copper stock like seen in the photo below, right (make it nice and thick to carry the current of the starter). Bolt one end to the starter solenoid terminal and the other end attach all your wires and secure them w/a bolt and nut.

I have seen studs extenders w/a female end that would lengthen the existing terminal. One made of brass is on page 9 under Battery Terminal Accessories, http://www.noco-usa.com/pdf/Noco-Cat...inals-Lugs.pdf.

Good luck.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:21 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

I should have said in my last post that you can run the 'extra' wire to the battery. Or another hot wire under the hood (horn circuit for example) as long as the fuse/fuseable link/circuit breaker is capable of serving both circuits.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:40 PM

Last photo:

I'd get a brass/copper coupler nut, put the batt cable on the starter stud secure it with the coupler nut, then take a brass/copper bolt and secure the other terminal to the coupler nut.

If you cant find a brass/copper coupler nut.... take some brass/copper round stock and drill and tap it to make a coupler nut.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:56 AM
valve monkey

Last photo:

Thanks guys. Good suggestions.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.