starter problem or something - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2002, 09:23 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post starter problem or something

Hey,

I got my engine al in my gmc jimmy all ready to go.. its a sbc 327 and i got everthing hooked up. WEhne i turn the key it jsut turns the motor for a split second tehn seems to get caught or something and i have to manually turn the engine to get the starter to disengage. Is it jsut that i got the wrong gear on hte starter? If so, is it an easy thing to change? What else coudl cause the starter to do this?

Thanks,
Jordan

PS- I m jump starting it cause my normal battery fo rht ecar is dead, so it ant like its not gettign enough power.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2002, 09:50 AM

Cool

Well the bendix could be bad but my guess is that the starter needs a shim so it will have proper clearance between the starter bendix gear and flexplate gear. If you lost your shim go to the parts store. Most likely they can fix you up.
Old 03-20-2002, 04:51 PM

I agree with 57cheyyman probably the starter needs shimming, by your symptoms probably 2-shimms
seems to be binding-up, try one then two. you should notice quite a bid off difference. Good luck
Old 03-21-2002, 12:59 PM

ok thanks for the help... i'll try the shims and stuff..... but are tehre differnet starters for different tooth flyqwheels?

thanks
Jordna
Old 03-21-2002, 02:29 PM

howdy old car guy!i'm not sure from your description whether thestarter is still receiving sufficient amperage to turn the engine over.are you using jumper cables?,if so you need to hook up the battery direct[no cables ]as there is a lot of loss when jumping through cables,even really heavy duty ones.when you turn the engine over if you have a ammeter or volt gauge you can watch it to see if power falls off.if you dont have agauge you can turn on your interior overheadf light and see if it dims a great deal.as far as starter gears go i know that my starter will work on 153 or 168 tooth flywheels
Old 03-22-2002, 05:03 AM

Try turning the motor over by hand or with a socket from the balancer end of crank if it will
make a full turn it is surely the starter or solenoid hope this helps good luck
Old 03-22-2002, 05:07 PM

Ok... well i thought it was getting enough power... but it turns out its not.... so i charged the battery and i m gonna try it with the battery in tehre and jumper cablles hooked up.....

thanks,
Jordan
Old 03-23-2002, 05:02 PM

Last photo:

It sounds like you may have a power problem BUT, if you find out that it was a shim problem, be very careful. If it is out that much you are actually trying to flex the shaft on the starter or the starter ring itself. The results are not good, I can vouch for that. Either the starter ring will break out from one of the holes, or the nose piece will break off of the starter and go bouncing across the floor! If it was a shim problem and once it's shimed properly you have a lot of starter noise, check to be sure the starter ring isn't broken. Nothing worse that having to pull the engine again to change the starter ring because of a simple mistake, been there-done that! Good Luck, HotRod

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.