Starter problem (wont turn off) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2003, 09:25 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Red face Starter problem (wont turn off)

I have a 1970 chevelle. I have gone through 3 starters in the last 7 days. no joke! pain in the butt. Evertime the start gets stuck spinning, even when they key is totally out. Why is it still running? is it the igintion switch? bad solenoid? its getting to be a pain in the butt. I have to disconnet the battery to turn it off. My battery cables getting burning hot too. Why?
Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2003, 01:34 AM

sounds like the ignition switch might be sticking. try this test: bypass the ignition.

starting pulls hundreds of amps from the battery. starting for 3-5 seconds isn't that big a deal. turn it over for ten or more seconds, and all but the biggest battery cables will get hot - so will your starter. they aren't made to go for more than 10 secs, so be careful to let the starter motor cool down before trying it again.
Old 04-15-2003, 02:36 AM
Slider in Wa.

Last photo:

does your starter need to be shimmed? The drive gear just might be hanging up.Not releasing.Is it a new bindix and solenoild? Let us know what you find out.
Slider in Wa.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:42 PM

The starters i got says they have new everything, including the bindix and solenoild. I think i am just going to get a new dealorship quality one. I also installed a heat sheild over it cause a mechanic said that trhe headers heat it up. And when the starter got stuck, it was running for like 1 minute strait and then burt out and smelt really bad, yet it still tries to turn over. Now i need a new starter and a new fuel pump. The cable acually burnt me very bad and they are imprint burn marks on two of my fingers.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:05 PM

to test slider's theory, why not hook up the starter without a load (not bolted on), then start it up with the key and see if it sticks.

might have another person at the battery, ready to disconnect the cable if it does stick, so cables don't get hot and starter doesn't burn up.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.