Hot Rod Forum banner

starter problems

845 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  68NovaSS 
#1 ·
hi my name is cliff and i own a 94 chevy k1500 truck that i have replaced the motor and the transmission and the rearend solid truck but i am having big issues with my starter breaking bolts snapping starters and know i have just replaced the flywheel after the one that was just in there only had maybe 5500 miles on new motor any help would be awesome thanks

#4 ·
There are lots of threads and posts on this very problem and the symptoms are quite similar, but unfortunately the real cause are not the same. One solution has been mentioned: make sure the nose brace is installed. Now lets go to another and that has been mentioned. You have to have the correct starter to match your flywheel/flexplate because of the different number of teeth. Third, which has not been mentioned is the low quality of reman/new replacement starters. Normally starters have to be shimmed out to make the proper engagement with the flywheel/flexplate, but I have run into some that are too far away from them to engage well, causing skipping, breaking teeth and bending braking bolts. You have to mill off the mounting surface if you want that starter to work. Most of us keep returning them until we find one that is made to specs. Another problem occurs when you are dealing with high compression motors and radically advanced ignition timing. The newer starters (since smog controls entered the picture) have reduced torque to reduce the weight and because the low compression motors do not require as much torque to spin the motor. Gear reduction starters are even lighter weight and seem to have poor quality control on the mounting surface. Last, make sure you are using the proper sized and designed starter bolts. They must have the serrated shoulder to help with a snug fit into the starter mount holes. A regular bolt with no shoulder surface is not going to hold the base firmly in place and allow the movement to bend/break the bolts. If you have the high compression motor and or high advanced ignition, you need to bite the bullet and purchase the high dollar starters from some one like Summitt etc. Also, if you have a truck block, it may well have three mounting holes and you can use the starter that has three holes in the mount. If you can use this style starter, the nose brace is not needed.

Trees

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.