starter problems - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2012, 09:20 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

starter problems

i have been having problem with my starter on my sbc 350. i am using a Proform Parts 66268 - Proform High-Torque Starters and i am using a 1020 cranking amp battery, 95amp alternator. the battery and alt have been tested and good. with the key on the battery gauge shows around 12 amps, when i start it it drops to 8 and it becomes hard to start and its really bad when the motor gets warm. heat shields do not help.

I am not sure if its the starter. But several people tell me its in the wiring. Of course electrical is my downside, and i dont want to buy a new starter until i know for sure its the starter.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2012, 09:32 AM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by biohazard_81c10
i have been having problem with my starter on my sbc 350. i am using a Proform Parts 66268 - Proform High-Torque Starters and i am using a 1020 cranking amp battery, 95amp alternator. the battery and alt have been tested and good. with the key on the battery gauge shows around 12 amps, when i start it it drops to 8 and it becomes hard to start and its really bad when the motor gets warm. heat shields do not help.

I am not sure if its the starter. But several people tell me its in the wiring. Of course electrical is my downside, and i dont want to buy a new starter until i know for sure its the starter.
You need to test across the battery it self with a volt meter and see what you have, you can't alway's go by the gauge in the dash. JMO and you something like 14.2 to really have a solid battery the 12.5 you are seeing is probably the problem, check the battery before you buy another starter and see what it actually has there and let us know. sounds like a low /bad battery to me.IMHO

Cole
Old 01-28-2012, 09:34 AM

Last photo:

i just got the battery last week and tested again at the auto parts store with there tester and it is showing the battery is in great shape
Old 01-28-2012, 09:36 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
i just got the battery last week and tested again at the auto parts store with there tester and it is showing the battery is in great shape
And they are showing the alt putting out enough also ? If so you might need to check all the connections to the battery make sure all is clean and tight noting broken and not make complete contact. and also do the same with the wires to the starter do a run down of the wires to make sure they are not broken / cracked or pinched /touching anywhere. JMO

Cole

Last edited by eloc431962; 01-28-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:36 AM

Last photo:

i just went to o'reilly's, they said my starter was stuck. which was funney b/c it was just fine when i took it off. so i went down to a old shop my dad told me about that was around in the 60's he and his brothers went to. he ran a hot cable to the starter it turned over but he said it wasnt spinning fast enough so he bypassed the solenoid and it worked perfect. he removed the solenoid and it smelt burnt and he put a new one in and tried it and it worked perfect. he recommend to add header wrap near the starter
Old 01-28-2012, 11:56 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
i just went to o'reilly's, they said my starter was stuck. which was funney b/c it was just fine when i took it off. so i went down to a old shop my dad told me about that was around in the 60's he and his brothers went to. he ran a hot cable to the starter it turned over but he said it wasnt spinning fast enough so he bypassed the solenoid and it worked perfect. he removed the solenoid and it smelt burnt and he put a new one in and tried it and it worked perfect. he recommend to add header wrap near the starter
Sounds about right, and you can either wrap it or get a heat shield they don't cost very much either both quick cheap fixes that do work. I'm not a big fan of header wrap but some guy's use it and swear by it.
Glad you got it fixed either way.

Cole
Old 01-28-2012, 08:25 PM

Last photo:

i put the header wrap on it, but i am not sure if the performance gains are what they say but what advertisement is. of course the funny thing is the guys at o reillys that couldnt get the starter to work in there tester. so they told me it was froze up, some 15years experience there lol
Old 01-29-2012, 02:55 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Proform parts are known to be problematic. Try a new starter. I have and have installed for a few others the MSD starters. I wont buy anything else going forward. They are quality and crank real well. They are expensive but they work. I went through 3 of those cheapo starters before I bought the MSD.

Chet

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.