Starter Problems; - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2005, 01:52 PM
Be the MIRACLE!

Last journal entry: Running boards (part DUEX)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Starter Problems;

Not sure if this is in the right forum but I couldn't figure out if it should go with engines or trannies, so I went with this forum. Got my old 38 some what running but I'm having trouble with the starter. It wants to catch on the flywheel now and then. May crank 3 or 4 times before catching on teh flywheel. We went with no shimes then with them. It sounded horrible with them and would only crank once. The best scenario we can come up with is 2 shimes on just one side of the starter. It sounds a whole lot better and will start 7 or 8 times and then hit the flywheel and stick on it again. If you hand turn the engine a little you can here it let go and it will crank again for awhile. Bad starter, bent flywheel? It's got us puzzled. I know the guy who had it before us had the same problem. Still have to tune the engine and figure out where the vaccum hoses go, then I hope to take the old 38 for a short spin. Winter is coming fast. I did get a video phone to record the starting of the engine but it sounds pretty bad on the audio end. Can this be down loaded on the computer? (Just in case anyone wants to hear it run?)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2005, 04:33 PM

Starter

Howdy: I would pull the starter and check the teeth on the flywheel, if they are rounded off or damaged, you will have to replace the starter ring. You can also pull the starter and check the bendix ( the gear and spring at the end of the shaft) , cleanti up with a solvent or arb cleaner and lube it with a small amount of white grease (engine assembly lube). Be sure to check your battery cables and connections at the eng, use a fully charged battery, it turn over better. see you later, Old Hemi
Old 10-22-2005, 04:44 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Do what old Hemi said and if that does not cure it , replace the Bendix or get a new starter. Let us know how you make out with it.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:32 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I know that the 38 has been sitting for a while........possibly the starter drive is rusted and sticking. Take the starter apart and free everything up....

Could also be an alignment problem. do you have the front bracket on the starter?

Budget RVs
Old 10-23-2005, 08:44 AM
Be the MIRACLE!

Last photo:

Just the normal (very small) amount of wear on the flywheel teeth and starter. Nothing really bad. I have had the starter apart but didn't lube it, yet. I've put jumper cables on the battery and touched it to the starter, seems to work every time. I've got a new battery in it and it's charged good. Front bracket? I have no such thing. What's is look like? I'll be back at it monday night again to see if we can smooth out the engine and get it to stay running on it's own. Jeese, those open hedders sound great! Can't wait to put it in drive.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:53 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

The front bracket looks like a small piece of angle iron, that goes from the stud protruding from the round front cover, to the side of the engine block. Easy to make one if you don't have it. It stops the starter from moving or twisting while under load.

Budget RVs
Old 10-23-2005, 03:57 PM
Gone fishin'

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Last journal entry: blah.......again
Wiki Edits: 2

Check to make sure your flywheel isn't warped or cracked. Also make sure your transmission isnt pushing against the flywheel.
I had the exact same problem, it was because I had a th350c with a th350 converter and I didn't know the difference. It ran good except for the starter problem it cause by pushing against the flywheel.

Brad
Old 10-23-2005, 05:20 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

A buddy of mine had an '81 Monte Carlo with a 350 that did almost the same thing. Only his would bind up after every 2 or 3 times of hitting the keys. It wound up being the outermost bolt hole on the block being partially stripped. The bolt would back out just a little bit and then it would bind. He reefed on it and broke the block's bolt hole. He got it re-welded and then ran with a starter brace. Problem solved until it kicked a rod. Oh well. It's only money, right?

In a while, Chet.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:36 PM
Be the MIRACLE!

Last photo:

Well, I put in a couple of small shims just on the outside of the starter. Seems to be as good as it wants to get. If I add one or take away one the starter growls a lot more. I can hit the key 7 or 8 times before it jambs again. I don't have such an item on the starter Ponch, I guess I better look into it. 350c/350converter? You lost me wakbordr. Schnitz, The outside bolt hole is not stripped but a small portion of it is broken out now that you mention it. Maybe that's allowing the starter to move ever so slightly? I don't know of any way to fix that. Still haven't got to drive it yet. Been unseasonabley cold here laltely.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:54 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Can you drill the hole out and tap it oversize and then put in a heli-coil to bring it back down to size? I was thinking that when you drill it out you might eliminate the broken part. Just a thought. Good luck with it. Next report I want to hear how good it felt driving that car down the street!
Old 10-24-2005, 06:10 PM
Be the MIRACLE!

Last photo:

I'll have to give that some thought. No tap and die set. I might even drill it out too big and then where will I be? Hhhmmmm... What's a mother to do?
Old 10-24-2005, 07:46 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

I have, in my shady past... used a stud. A long threaded stud. Put it in the block......all the way in that will thread, with lock-tight and used a locking nut on the stud.

When I was dirt track racing....I got hit so hard one night it broke the starter OFF the block..taking with it part of the starter pad......NO problem.....I just used a 55 - 57 Chevrolet bell housing that the starter bolts to the bell housing. Problem solved......

The block had a ton of $$$ spent on it blueprinting it and that was the only way to save that work and $$$.

Old 10-25-2005, 08:37 AM
Gone fishin'

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Last journal entry: blah.......again
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 special
Well, I put in a couple of small shims just on the outside of the starter. Seems to be as good as it wants to get. If I add one or take away one the starter growls a lot more. I can hit the key 7 or 8 times before it jambs again. I don't have such an item on the starter Ponch, I guess I better look into it. 350c/350converter? You lost me wakbordr. Schnitz, The outside bolt hole is not stripped but a small portion of it is broken out now that you mention it. Maybe that's allowing the starter to move ever so slightly? I don't know of any way to fix that. Still haven't got to drive it yet. Been unseasonabley cold here laltely.

Sorry I should have been a little more clear, my problem was I was using a th350c(lockup) tranny with a th350(nonlockup) torque converter. It ran fine except that the transmission pushed the converter up against the flexplate, and bent it out of shape and caused the exact same problem your having.
I don't know if thats the case with yours or not though.

Brad
Old 10-25-2005, 03:03 PM
Be the MIRACLE!

Last photo:

Thanks Wakbordr, I'm not as bright on the mechanical end of things. Takes me much longer to figure it out. Duece, Ouch! Ripped the starter right out of the block. What a beast you are. (Heh heh) I'll keep that idea in mind if worst comes to worst. Always have a back up plan.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:22 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Is it possible that the nose end of the starter is not totally flat due to a poor casting of the aluminum? Maybe try another starter. But, I think that a brace would sure help you out.

In a while, Chet.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.