Hot Rod Forum banner

Starter problems 78 firebird

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Axl900 
#1 ·
not sure if this is a good place for this question. but here i go.
so i have been working on a 78 firebird thats been outside not running for about 8 years or so, and ive come across a problem that i cannot fix on my own. i got it to start a few times but after a couple times the starter will not engage the engine. ive taken the starter to 3 diff parts shops and they all tell me its a good strong starter, i can hear the starter whirring when i turn it over. but its doing just that, just spinning away. any advice on what to do, i tried to put some shims in but no amount of shims seems to change it. on a side not i noticed when i put the starter in that last full turn of the bolts seems to pull it away from the flywheel.????

#4 ·
i have shimmed it. but it still has the same problem, it was on there before and worked great without shims but after it was taken off for a while it just doesnt work, could it have anything to do with the starter pulling away from the flywheel on the last full turn or so of the bolts?

#5 ·
for giggles with starter out, look in hole at the flexplate ring gear, are the teeth worn or totally mising,,
a v8 stops in the same 3 spots all the time, it's not unheard of a ringgear(startergear on flexplate or(if a stick)flywheel to have one of those three spots with dead teeth..
and might be why it just goes zzzzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeeeinnnggggggggg

yes every v8 stops only in 1 of three spots, on the starter ring gear,
that is todays useless fact, that might not be so useless here..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.