Starter problems - unknown wiring - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2005, 09:43 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Starter problems - unknown wiring

Hey everyone - new guy here. I have a 68 camaro I've just rebuilt the engine in (327, 3 spd manual). When I reconnected the wiring on the starter, I connected all three wires that were there (1 from bat, 1 red, 1 yellow). When I turned the key, nothing happened. This car has been sitting since 1984 in a barn, the engine was locked up. Engine has been rebuilt so no problems there. I have power from the battery, power at the red wire when the key is turned, but no action from the starter. I jumped the starter bat wire to red wire - nothing happens - nothing. Maybe a solenoid problem? What is that yellow wire for? Any help is appreciated.

Patrick

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2005, 11:33 AM
Not fast, but loud as hell

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I am pretty sure the yellow wire should be on the same terminal as the battery cable. If you're not getting a click, check to make sure you've got everything wired up correctly in accordance with a wiring diagram. I had the same problem with my cadillac, new battery and new starter w/ good wiring. The ignition switch turned out to be complete crap. But check the wires first.

I just re-read your post. Somebody correct me if I am wrong(which I usually am) but shouldn't there be fourth wire? The battery cable, red, yellow and some other color(maybe a blue?) 3 on one terminal and blue on another? Or am I way off....i think thats how my caddy is set up.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:08 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Wires

Quote:
Originally Posted by professor-patrick
Hey everyone - new guy here. I have a 68 camaro I've just rebuilt the engine in (327, 3 spd manual). When I reconnected the wiring on the starter, I connected all three wires that were there (1 from bat, 1 red, 1 yellow). When I turned the key, nothing happened. This car has been sitting since 1984 in a barn, the engine was locked up. Engine has been rebuilt so no problems there. I have power from the battery, power at the red wire when the key is turned, but no action from the starter. I jumped the starter bat wire to red wire - nothing happens - nothing. Maybe a solenoid problem? What is that yellow wire for? Any help is appreciated.

Patrick

Doc here,

Got your PM, but answer here...

The above is how it should be wired..

If you have power to the RED wire (which should be on the NCA terminal, and is the fuse link for the car if it has one..or Fuse buss switched and non switched) and ALL other electrical works, that's ok...

TESTING WITH OHM METER:

Next you need to find and test with an ohm meter the circuit that runs from the Purple through the neutral safety switch and Clutch over ride...With it in neutral, and the clutch OUT you should have continuity on an R x 1 or infinite Scale on a DMM from the "START" position of the switch (PPL or PPL/WHT) to the solenoid Purple wire..If not one or both of those switches are bad or disconnected..

TESTING WITH VOLT METER OR HORN:

OR you could set your meter for Volts, DC , 50 volts and above, and just have someone turn the key to "Start" for you, you should see 12 volts in start, and it will go away when the key is relaxed..(if your by yourself, hook a jump wire to the horn (not the relay, the horn itself), and "Key it yourself..it will honk if it's working..when you hit start)

The Purple Wire should go to the "S" terminal or the terminal on the right, nearest the block on the solenoid...If not (and if you were jumping the left terminal ) it will not energize the starter..

The second Terminal on the solenoid is the "I" or "R" terminal..It is provided for secondary Ignition power to the coil, to provide power to the coil during cranking cycles, when the rest of the car is "electrically Off"..

If you have points type of ignition with an external coil, this is where the yellow wire will hook up...It is located on the left side of the solenoid, or nearest the fender well, If you tried to jump it here the solenoid would not energize...

GROUNDING:

BE SURE the engine is grounded..to test , take a jumper cable and clamp one end to the battery, the other will clamp to the block near the starter, If it does crank, you need to do this:

Your ground should be set up as such,

The battery cable ground to any handy bolt at or near the starter, from there, get a battery cable that has 2 3/8 ring terminals on it

($6 bucks at wally mart or auto parts place) and ground that to the frame..

From the engine block ground at the starter, run 2 #10 wires, the first to the firewall, and the second to the alternator ground lug or mount bolt...

USE proper Star washers, Sheet-metal screws / bolts and locks, and burnish ALL the paint and grease from the grounding areas..

this will give you a rugged reliable grounding system that will most likely outlast the car...

The VERY first procedure you want to try, is : Run the ground jumper cable to the block,...

Then, Jump POWER the solenoid To the RIGHT side terminal on the solenoid, (nearest the block) It should energize and crank, If not..It's a pretty good indication the Solenoid is shot..

If you get a large spark and no action, it's probably the starter drive Froze on the shaft..you may need to pull it and replace or unfreeze the clutch unit...

Or, if it Does work..all the above applies..until you find the problem.

Doc
Old 10-09-2005, 06:16 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

wires

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbfpezcore
I am pretty sure the yellow wire should be on the same terminal as the battery cable. If you're not getting a click, check to make sure you've got everything wired up correctly in accordance with a wiring diagram. I had the same problem with my cadillac, new battery and new starter w/ good wiring. The ignition switch turned out to be complete crap. But check the wires first.

I just re-read your post. Somebody correct me if I am wrong(which I usually am) but shouldn't there be fourth wire? The battery cable, red, yellow and some other color(maybe a blue?) 3 on one terminal and blue on another? Or am I way off....i think thats how my caddy is set up.

Doc here,

RED, Purple And Yellow..(sometimes TAN)

Fuse links on latter Vehicles are usually located here on the RED wire, or about a few inches to a few feet back from the solenoid..

Doc

Last edited by docvette; 10-09-2005 at 06:17 PM. Reason: added pix

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.