Hot Rod Forum banner

starter question

8K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  bubbahotep 
#1 ·
Have a 300 HP Chevy. Should I go with hi-torque mini starter for weight savings and the torque, or should I just use a regular chevy starter?

Opinions for each. Pros and Cons

Thanks guys

#2 ·
I guess that all depends. I have both starters on different cars. And one--my 485hp Ford 460 had a real hard time turning over --especially when warm--even though the starter solenoid is away from heat and I was using a heat temp protective blanket on the starter itself etc--so I went with one of the lesser expensive JEgs units and now-and for a couple years-- it works great. No more hesitation in turning over the motor no matter the heat.

And in another I'm running a Chevy 350 OEM horse power and have used the OEM starter for a decade and never had any issues with the starter.

So I guess you might try the OEM starter--if you have it--and if you see issues then go and buy the hi torque. For my money in general I've not seen a down side to these hi torque units.

In my 460 Ford 10.5 compression I went with the Jegs Ford V8 Pro Start'R #1008, but probably any appropriate good brand name is just as good.

Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.