Starter question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2013, 12:03 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Starter question

I have a fairly new 496 that I installed a mini high torque starter that will sometimes crank the car perfect, but sometimes it just made a clanking noise. So, I crawled under the car and watched it as I had someone turn it over. Cause I thought it might have had a bad solenoid, but the starter is fine what's happening is sometimes when the starter teeth go to make contact with the flywheel the teeth actually hit the flywheel teeth square on. Basically two teeth on the starter gear hit the backside of two teeth on the flywheel. But when it actually lines up it fits the groove like a glove and turns over great. Sometimes I have to crawl under the car an spin the gear a little to catch the grove once it starts hitting. I've tried shimming it from one extreme to the other. It's a 168 tooth flywheel and the starter is supposed to be ok with it. I really shouldn't need to shim it anyway. Its my first time seeing one mesh up perfect sometimes and other times it won't mesh up at all. Any suggestions? I wonder if the gear is to close to the flywheel and doesn't have enough room to spin and catch the teeth at times because it basically shoots straight out and then hits the flywheel. I'll measure it tomorrow. The groove clearance is good (Teeth to Teeth), but I'm not sure about the gear to flywheel distance. If I had to guess I would say 1/4 of an inch. Thanks in advance for the replies!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013, 06:37 AM

Last photo:

Thanks fbird for the reply. I was going to file it down, but wasn't sure if it would help. Ill give it a shot it shouldn't take much. Hopefully, it will do the trick. If not I'm going to Order me another stock starter for it.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:21 AM

Last photo:

Are you sure the flex plate is on the right way? Maybe the solenoid isn't strong enough to force the bendix to mesh? Try putting a set of jumper cables from the battery negative to the engine block..

If you need another starter, check out the Robbmc, it comes with an optional pinion support.. Good luck..
Welcome to RobbMc Performance Products

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.