Hot Rod Forum banner

starter quit

909 views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  va4cqd 
#1 ·
i recently switched my manual 350 3/4 ton chevy to an automatic with a 400 turbo. it started a bit rough, like the starter needed shimmed, and i put it off for awhile. finally my luck ran out and it wouldn't start anymore. funny thing was that the starter just stopped working, it was like the starter was pulling too many volts and draining my battery. i have replaced the starter and battery (one that has 780 cold cranking amps, more than enough) and it still won't turn over. as soon as i hit the ignition it shoots the bendix gear out and it gets stuck in the flex plate teeth. i've tried shimming it any way that i can think of, but to no avail. the teeth on the flex plate show some wear but nothing too severe. its really getting frustrating :boxing:. if anyone has an idea on what the problem may be let me know...im open for any suggestions!
ryan

#2 ·
Have you checked the flex plate and transmission bolts? They may have come loose. This can give you un shim-able starter alignment problems. Check the transmission bolts first, then the felx plate. Don't just try to wiggle the flex plate by hand, the torque converter can make it "feel" tight. Get a pry bar on it and see if you can move it (don't go gorilla on it, would hate to bend it!)

#7 ·
Put a breaker bar on the front bolt on the damper and make sure the engine will turn by hand. If the old start bendix broke the parts could be wedged in the bell housing and not alowing the engine to turn.

Also check the battery cable at both ends. If it has been working real hard you may have burnt a terminal or the block or starter connection

Chet

#9 ·
the motor will turn by hand, so i know its not frozen up yet. the old starter bendix didn't break either. from what i have gathered, and what my mechanic buddies are telling me, the ring gear is messed up from me being lazy and not shimming it when i should have. if you have any easy way of dropping the tranny and replacing it, i'm all ears.

#11 ·
youngblood85 said:
the motor will turn by hand, so i know its not frozen up yet. the old starter bendix didn't break either. from what i have gathered, and what my mechanic buddies are telling me, the ring gear is messed up from me being lazy and not shimming it when i should have. if you have any easy way of dropping the tranny and replacing it, i'm all ears.
there is no easy answer. Fortunatly on a truck it should not be a big deal to drop the tranny out.
belhousing bolts (6) torque converter bolts (3 or 4) unbot cross member from truck, shift linkage and speedo cable. You most likely with a little help and the right tools could accomplish removale in an hour or so. You should have a helper to balance the tranny. You may also want to remove the distributor cap as the engine will want to tip back and it may hit the fire wall and break the cap. If you have a second jack, use it to support the rear of the engine.
a 2 foot extension and a good swivel will save you a bunch of time and busted knuckles.

good luck
Chet

#13 ·
There are differnt flywheels for small blocks, be sure you get the right one.
153 and 168 tooth, internal or external balance. Once you have it out there should be a number on it.
You dont want to do it twice :D

Chet

#14 ·
i do know that i have a 168 tooth and that's the correct size. but how do i tell if its internal or external? the motor is out of a vette, but which year, i have no idea. i guess i have to get the casting numbers off of it to find out, but where would i find out what it is? is there a website that will tell me, or do i need to go to the part store and have them look it up?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.