Starter spins....sometimes? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2009, 09:28 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Starter spins....sometimes?

97 C1500....5.7 vortec

A few days ago, returning from a fishing trip, my starter went out. When I tried to start it, the starter would just spin.

Well, trying to save a buck, I decided to fix the starter (or try). So, I tore it down and noticed that the clutch drive assembly needed replacing.

I ordered the part, picked it up and installed it. After putting the starter back together (or so I thought) I installed (without testing) and gave it a whirl. Well, no whirl came, just a single click and then nothing. So I pulled it back out, tore it back apart and found that I hadn't put the brushes in their holders , which in turn had burned up my solenoid. So, I bought a new solenoid, slapped it on and reinstalled the starter. And she started!!!!....

But, the next time I went to start it, the starter just spun....I gave it a few more goes and it would alternate between spinning and catching for a few rotations before slipping and spinning again. I can sometimes start it on the first try....other times it will take a few tries.

So, I pulled the starter off AGAIN! Tested it, and everything seems to be working. The pinion extracts far enough that it should be ingaging the flywheel....I can see that when it does extract that it is engaging fully.

Any idea's???? Do I need to just chunk this starter and get another, or is there still hope? I've already dropped this much work into it, not to mention the $40 CDA and $16 solenoid....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2009, 10:24 AM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi,
Check your flex plate for out of round/missing teeth.
Rich
Old 03-14-2009, 10:30 AM

Last photo:

I checked the fw for any damage...having my buddy rotate the engine as I did....I saw no missing teeth or any other type of damage....
Old 03-14-2009, 11:06 AM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

I am sure the atarter was doing fine before.so if the funds are there i would go buy a new starter and solve the problem.nothing worse then having to keep yanking the starter over and over. cole
Old 03-14-2009, 11:14 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloc431962
I am sure the atarter was doing fine before.so if the funds are there i would go buy a new starter and solve the problem.nothing worse then having to keep yanking the starter over and over. cole

I'm on my way out the door to do just that!!!!
Old 03-14-2009, 12:15 PM

Last journal entry: Hand brake
Last photo:

This happened on my '96 Chevy Astro a well.
I bought one of those OEM looking, cheap new ones on Ebay. It lasted a week. Then I bought one that was remanufactured in The US instead and that one worked just fine.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:30 PM

Last photo:

Bought a new one with a lifetime warranty....starts up no problem now....thanks for all the help folks....
Old 03-14-2009, 01:16 PM

starter problem

From your pictures:

It looks like you forgot to repair the real problem. High mica strips on the commutator.

Will cause slow engagement, dead spots, no start, or spinning with no engagement.

Fix: Put the communtator in a vise. Make a cutter from a hack saw blade and the cut the mica that lies beteen the commutator poles. Be sure to cut relief at at least 1/4" deep. Do not worry about causing a small abrasion on the sides of the brass, because this will be corrected by sanding the commutator to clean it up so the brushes will reseat. If you do not clean the commutator before reassembly the brushes will bounce and chatter and you could still have the same problem.

Usually there are just a couple of things that go wrong with starters. Bad bendix drive, bad or worn brushes, solenoid and faulty commutator. Unless it has been overheated the main feild windings seldom go bad.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.