Starter switch stock to modified wiring question. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2006, 12:49 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Starter switch stock to modified wiring question.

OK prior to rewiring my truck (which I'm doing right now) I installed a ididit column ( I got a smokin deal from a friend....$40 brand new, he got it in a trade and didnt need it) the column that was originally in there was a mid 80's GM column with the keyed start integrated into the column. the Ididit column does not have the keyed start assembly therefore I'm temporarily (until I get a keyless system figured out and wiredup...more on that in a different thread) wiring in a standard older style 3 prong ignition switch, the layout on the universal switch is off/energized/spring loaded start and on the back the prongs are labeled I, S, B. (standard slide switch) The stock GM ignition switch attachments are as follows.

on the white plug (two plug ignition switch)
Ignition switch coil (pink)
Ignition switch Power (red)
Ignition switch start (purple)
Ignition switch ignition (brown)

on the black plug
Ignition switch Acc (orange)
and an unnamed black wire that is tied directly into the ignition switch Power (red)

what I want to do is make the older style switch work till I wire in my aircraft panel and get my final ignition switching system installed but unfortunatly am no electrical whiz kid (I know the basic principles of the circuit but not sure where to put the 6 wires from the stock GM set up into the non-stock three prong system)

guidance would be appreciated (I hate electrical....after 6 years of my truck catching on fire (minor smoke checks ) periodically from a bum electrical system I figured I'd bite the bullet and put that new EZ kit in thats been sitting on my shelf for better part of three years)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2006, 04:44 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallie49
OK prior to rewiring my truck (which I'm doing right now) I installed a ididit column ( I got a smokin deal from a friend....$40 brand new, he got it in a trade and didnt need it) the column that was originally in there was a mid 80's GM column with the keyed start integrated into the column. the Ididit column does not have the keyed start assembly therefore I'm temporarily (until I get a keyless system figured out and wiredup...more on that in a different thread) wiring in a standard older style 3 prong ignition switch, the layout on the universal switch is off/energized/spring loaded start and on the back the prongs are labeled I, S, B. (standard slide switch) The stock GM ignition switch attachments are as follows.

on the white plug (two plug ignition switch)
Ignition switch coil (pink)
Ignition switch Power (red)
Ignition switch start (purple)
Ignition switch ignition (brown)

on the black plug
Ignition switch Acc (orange)
and an unnamed black wire that is tied directly into the ignition switch Power (red)

what I want to do is make the older style switch work till I wire in my aircraft panel and get my final ignition switching system installed but unfortunatly am no electrical whiz kid (I know the basic principles of the circuit but not sure where to put the 6 wires from the stock GM set up into the non-stock three prong system)

guidance would be appreciated (I hate electrical....after 6 years of my truck catching on fire (minor smoke checks ) periodically from a bum electrical system I figured I'd bite the bullet and put that new EZ kit in thats been sitting on my shelf for better part of three years)

Doc here,

OK confused as all heck here..too many changes in a single paragraph..

Let me see if I got it right..you want to temp wire an 80's switch to an Ididit plug...(I think...)

Try this:

Ignition switch coil (pink)= To the HEI...
Ignition switch Power (red)=To the fuse link on the starter solenoid Batt Bolt.
Ignition switch start (purple)=To the starter solenoid "S" terminal or neutral safety switch...
Ignition switch ignition (brown)=To Alternator via fuse and resistor, through the idiot lamp..

Did I get that right? Is that what you need? If not post back with "Less" information..hopefully we can help more..

Doc
Old 06-22-2006, 07:08 PM

Last photo:

Sorry I just reread my own post and confused myself!

Quote:
Did I get that right? Is that what you need? If not post back with "Less" information..hopefully we can help more..
again my apologies I was trying to make sure I got enough info in there and got too much!

OK lets clarify things a bit, the stock ignition switch is the slide switch that used to be bolted on the mid 80s column in which the white plug and the black plug... plug into (and the assorted colloured wires listed) this is the way it is set up now (I just ripped the mid 80's ignition switch off the old column when I put the ididit in)

the three prong off,energized, spring loaded start (I,S,B labeled on the contacts) is the switch I want to wire.

the engine and chassis and dash (with exception of the ign sw) is already wired, those are the labels of the wire that I need to trim off the plugs and wire into a old school 3 prong switch

Better????....................

maybe????
Old 06-23-2006, 05:03 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Doc here,

I pulled a Standard mid 80's Diagram for a mid sized GM today..

If I got this right, you've done away with the column switch all together, and are going aftermarket panel mount (B, S, I) type switch...

the stock 80 diagram shows:
  • PINK=HEI + TERMINAL
  • PURPLE='S' TERMINAL ON SOLENOID
  • RED1=BATTERY FUSE LINK
  • RED2=PARALLELS INTO RED 1
  • ORANGE=ACC SIDE OF THE FUSE BUSS
  • GREEN=INST. CLUSTER
  • TAN/WHT=INST.CLUSTER

To Convert it to the B,S, I switch..
  • B=BOTH RED WIRES
  • S=PURPLE WIRE
  • I=PINK WIRE
    If you don't have an ACC side of the switch but have ACC, run it as follows:
  • I=ORANGE AND PINK
  • GREEN=NOT USED
  • TAN/WHITE=NOT USED.

I think that's the data you are looking for..If not we may have a syntax error between what you need and what I think you are looking for..

Doc
Old 06-23-2006, 05:15 PM

Last photo:

Hot diggity, thats what I's need, (no syntax error this time)

thanks
Old 06-23-2006, 06:01 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Doc here,

KEWL...

Keep us updated!

Doc

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.