Hot Rod Forum banner

starter trouble 350 chevy

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Wrencher 
#1 ·
Hi all

I installed a 350 chevy in a '76 trans am not to long ago and i used a b.o.p tranny on the 350 chevy. I used an adapter plate that allows the two to fit together. The plate that goes in between the engine and the bellhousing of the tranny is 1/8" thick. When I go to turn the engine over, i get a lot of noise coming from the starter. After that i put a shim on the starter, and it didnt seem to have any effect. I put another shim on the starter, and the starter was more noisy than before. Do you think that the 1/8" difference in the distance from the starter to the ring gear would cause problems with anything? And also, what should I do about the noise im getting from the starter? The engine cranks over the it sounds like the starter is binding up with the ring gear. What do you all suggest?

thanks a lot

#2 ·
The starter shouldn`t need shims at all. first off, make sure you have the correct bolts, the factory bolts fit the grooves machined into the starter to eliminate all the movement they can, the addition of a rear starter brace is also beneficial. make sure there are no washers on the bolts also. in the last cases I`ve seen like yours, the flywheel or the starter wasn`t anymore good, as a start I`d replace the starter and go from there, also make sure you have a good ground, after I ran more grounds on my car, I haven`t had anymore starter problems and the car had ate a total of 8 of`em.

#3 ·
The starter i have on the motor is brand new. Though, i bought new starter bolts from autozone and i dont know if that would make a difference or not. The bolts have the hatch marks on the ends of them so i think they are ok. I've got all my grounds hooked up except for the headlight wires and such, but the starter just sounds like it is binding up or something. It will crank it over, then stop, and then roll over once again, and not go anymore. Someone from the parts store told me that there should be an 1/8" gap in between the starter pinion tooth and the ring gear tooth. The starter i got is oem, but it is remanufactured. any ideas?

thanks all

#4 ·
If all your cable connections are clean and tight, try charging or jumping the batt. if it still grunts, and the dist. hasn't been moved, the starter is defective. Make sure the grd. on the engine is in the head or block. Although they're not the best for electrical stuff, they will test it for ya!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.