Starter wire got extremely hot fried the ground wire
Hi guys I have an s10 with a sbc. Just went to start truck and it fired but saw and smelled something under hood.. One of the wires or all of the wires (idk) got extremely hot and melted the plastic wire loom tubing. I also the in a glance the ground wire from the battery to the body smoking and it obviously fried that because the radio was starting to fade. I do know that I was concerned about replacing the ground before because it smoked a little on occasion but do you think it just couldnt handle the current from being wore out already and the starter wire got extremely hot? or is my starter going bad?? Remember its the ground from the battery to the body not the thick negative terminal itself..
08-03-2012 06:47 PM
Where is your battery negative (big) cable grounded to on the truck? It should be grounded to the engine.
08-03-2012 07:32 PM
yes yes its grounded to the header but I think its called the ground strap maybe
08-03-2012 07:42 PM
The negative cable from your battery needs to be grounded to the engine block. Then you should have ground cables or straps from the engine to the frame and body. You can't have too many grounds but they all need to be the correct size and grounded properly. If you could post a picture of your engine compartment showing what you have it would be easier to diagnose. Never use a header bolt for a ground point. Header bolts come loose in time and will cause you problems.
08-04-2012 02:32 PM
Here it is. No power on inside of vehicle. bad ignition?