Starting a 350 Chevy after 12 years? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2010, 09:50 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Starting a 350 Chevy after 12 years?

hey guys, "69 Camaro" 27 year owner...
I had this car sitting the last 12 years in the garage, unstarted. I drained the oil, it had about a cup of anti freeze in it. Changed it, new filter, turned it over by hand and ran a dummy distributor in the back to turn the oil pump several times over several days turning it by hand in between. This past weekend I let the starter turn it over. Getting ready to start it and see what it will do. The last time I drove it, it ran great but wouldn't start at work, it would turn over just not start, had it towed home and its been in a deep sleep since. The engine was a rebuild and has about 30,000 miles on it. I did drain the tank last weekend, and added about 5 gals on new gas. Took off the fuel hose before the carb filter and let it drain in a bucket while I turned the engine over. A mech. told me I may or maynot have a problem with the gaskets, will have to wait and see if they seal back once the engine has run some. Any advice would be great, in the process of changing the points and getting the engine ready to fire. I found this web site today while looking for info on setting the gap on the points, also i am changing the plugs....................thanks Jeff J.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2010, 10:08 PM

I think I would be concerned about the coolant in the oil. Was the coolant strong enough to protect from freezing temperatures? Best wishes.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:27 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

That "cup of antifreeze" in the oil pan would concern me.

Antifreeze plays hell on engine bearings, so I wouldn't run it until you stop that leak.

When you prelubed the engine with a drill, what kind of oil pressure did you have? Low oil pressure is a good indicator that the bearings are loose.

Pressure test the cooling system as well.
If it holds pressure ... I would as a minimum ... drain it , flush it, and refill with plain water before firing the engine up.

For the sake of $50.00 worth of gaskets, I think I'd at least remove the valve covers and intake to inspect the intake gaskets. That antifreeze is getting in somewhere, and if you're lucky it will be there.

The best way to adjust the points on the old DR dist was with a dwell tach, but failing that ... a gap of .017 should get you into the ballpark.
Similarly, a plug gap of .030 should be close enough to run. (assuming that you're buying standard copper core plugs, not platinum?)

While you've got all those plugs out, just a squirt of 10W oil wouldn't hurt. Let it sit overnight, and then run the starter with the coil wire disconnected and plugs still out. It will burn a little blue when you first start up, but at least those rings won't be running completely dry up and down those cylinder walls ... 12 years is a long time.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:34 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

First off, I`d get rid of the points and get a HEI. the best place for points is the trash. Secondly, and this is important, once you fire it off, cycle it as if the engine were new. Run it at 1800 to 2200 RPM for 20 minutes. What this is doing is making sure the camshaft has enough oil splash to keep it alive.
Even so your prelubed it and the cam is already broken in, in almost every case I`ve seen of the small block chevy not being cycled after a long nap results in the cam going flat from lack of lube. If you`ve not cycled the engine yet, you may want to take note of which valve springs have been left open in the engines sleep, you can bet they are shot after being in a open position that long.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:14 AM

Last photo:

sleeping engine 350

hey guys,
thanks for the advice, I plan on trashing those points after I get this thing going again. The oil presure was reading 75 on the gage when I was cranking it over with the starter. And I did shoot some wd-40 in all the cylinders and let it set then ran the drill with the oil pump, then turned it over by hand and did it again before using the engines starter. The plugs are still out, but getting ready to try to start this again sometime this weekend. Thanks for the advice and help with this . Jeff
Old 07-27-2010, 01:15 PM

[QUOTE=Jeff J]hey guys,
thanks for the advice, I plan on trashing those points after I get this thing going again. The oil presure was reading 75 on the gage when I was cranking it over with the starter. And I did shoot some wd-40 in all the cylinders and let it set then ran the drill with the oil pump, then turned it over by hand and did it again before using the engines starter. The plugs are still out, but getting ready to try to start this again sometime this weekend. Thanks for the advice and help with this . Jeff[/QUOTE
Forget the WD-40 for the cylinders, use engine oil to lube the cylinder walls, pistons and rings.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:56 PM

Last photo:

Thanks alot Factory Man,
After I had the wd-40 and before I turned it over by hand I used an old oil can and shot some 10w-30 oil in the cylinders too. Not sure what else to do with this thing other than trying to start it and see what happens. thanks a lot guys,,,,,,,,,keep you fingers crossed for me.. Jeff
Old 07-27-2010, 04:04 PM

Last photo:

question for you one last thing....on points,,

One last thing, the gap on the points??? .017 do I set this when the lobe of the came is making full contact with the points?? Or with the contacts sitting as if they were out of the box? thanks this has been a problem I can't find an answer to. I will upgrade this thing when its running again. Jeff J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GMC
That "cup of antifreeze" in the oil pan would concern me.

Antifreeze plays hell on engine bearings, so I wouldn't run it until you stop that leak.

When you prelubed the engine with a drill, what kind of oil pressure did you have? Low oil pressure is a good indicator that the bearings are loose.

Pressure test the cooling system as well.
If it holds pressure ... I would as a minimum ... drain it , flush it, and refill with plain water before firing the engine up.

For the sake of $50.00 worth of gaskets, I think I'd at least remove the valve covers and intake to inspect the intake gaskets. That antifreeze is getting in somewhere, and if you're lucky it will be there.

The best way to adjust the points on the old DR dist was with a dwell tach, but failing that ... a gap of .017 should get you into the ballpark.
Similarly, a plug gap of .030 should be close enough to run. (assuming that you're buying standard copper core plugs, not platinum?)

While you've got all those plugs out, just a squirt of 10W oil wouldn't hurt. Let it sit overnight, and then run the starter with the coil wire disconnected and plugs still out. It will burn a little blue when you first start up, but at least those rings won't be running completely dry up and down those cylinder walls ... 12 years is a long time.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:39 PM

top oil

All the above sounds like good advice to me, but just a suggestion. I believe in throwing a shot of top oil in the crankcase an fuel tank as well. Good lubricant for the fuel system and top end. That antifreeze is a bit scary though.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:46 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff J
One last thing, the gap on the points??? .017 do I set this when the lobe of the came is making full contact with the points?? Or with the contacts sitting as if they were out of the box? thanks this has been a problem I can't find an answer to. I will upgrade this thing when its running again. Jeff J.
Yes, set them where the center/tip of the Cam lobe opens the points.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:40 PM

Last photo:

just an updat on the Camaro

first, thanks to everyone here for the help and advice. The last thing I had posted was I got the engine started last Sun.. It ran and died 3 times and after the 3rd time, 4 quarts of oil ran out all over the driveway. Luckly, I was talking with some guys at work and we had the idea it might be the oil filter, Well either the filter was defective, I put it on wrong, or it was simply the wrong part for that engine, it had a blown out spot on it, I never would of guessed all that oil would pour out like that. Anyway, just got installed a new Frame filter, ran the motor for alomost a half hr. no leaks I could see, and no sign of antifreeze in the oil. I had to drain out what was left before refilling it, had no idea how much was left in the motor.... Its on it way,, one step at a time, thanks again, Jeff J. 27 year owner of the same 69 Camaro

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.