Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Starting body work- help requested!!!
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 11:28 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Starting body work- help requested!!!

Now that I got your attention- thank you all for a great and informative website! This is my first post here- wanted to get some answers before I dig in too deep and get in over my head. BTW, found your site on another forum.

I am working on a 77 (early) Ford Bronco. It was a crawler for a while and has its share of scrapes, dings, and dents. I don't have much body work experience (other than piddling with it). After reading the info on the SPI paint forum about their epoxy, I'm considering using it. My plan is to sand to bare metal, pound some dings out, epoxy prime, fill, prime, then epoxy prime again before top coat. From their website, it sounds like not much (if any) sanding is required. Is this accurate? Also, can the epoxy be laid on the bare metal and left for a month or so before body work is done without changing that strategy?

A few questions. The body is dented. How close do I need to get it (how much bondo is good vs. bad)? Some of it was filled already and I've run across about 1/4" of it in spots.

Next, should I take it all to bare metal? Why or why not? I have been using aircraft paint stripper and then a DA with 100 grit. I'm concerned about the aircraft stripper screwing with the new paint. What is the best way to neutralize it? I am planning on using the water based SPI prep-sol.

I am planning on replacing this tail light bucket as it is dented and the metal behind it isn't straight. I'm not sure that it is able to be fixed (by me) without fixing the metal behind it and then welding a new bucket in place. Your thoughts?

Finally, I plan to do the mud work and priming here. I just have a few HF HVLP paint guns. Nothing fancy, nor do I have a way to keep the dust/gnats out of the finished product. Do most paint places make me use what they want, or can I bring paint/material to them? Not looking for something super fancy, nor will I spend 100's of hours on it. I do plan to try and get it pretty flat using a long board, but I don't really need it to be perfect. It will see trail use.

Oh, and who makes a good filler? I have used some that don't harden well, others that don't spread well, and I always seem to get air bubbles in it- my fault there. Do you guys mess with any sort of glazing compound/icing overtop of the bondo? Any tips are welcomed!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Body Work 001.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	70826   Click image for larger version

Name:	Body Work 002.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	70827   Click image for larger version

Name:	Body Work 004.JPG
Views:	70