Starting a Business - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2010, 06:35 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Starting a Business

I've been in the military for 19yrs and about to retire. Im trying to think of a easy ran business from home or done in spare time. I thought about selling classic chevy restoration parts like year one or smaller dealers like Ausleys or Big Tonys. Does anyone have info on who the wholesaler are for parts or how I might start?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2010, 11:50 PM

Last photo:

starting a business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derkyb
I've been in the military for 19yrs and about to retire. Im trying to think of a easy ran business from home or done in spare time. I thought about selling classic chevy restoration parts like year one or smaller dealers like Ausleys or Big Tonys. Does anyone have info on who the wholesaler are for parts or how I might start?
welcome to the site, and thank you for your service.

Well to tell you the truth getting into any business today is very hard, getting into old cars or new parts for old cars is even tougher. Shops are going under at a pretty fast rate, people don't have the money to spend on toys. The hard part about getting into selling parts is you have a buy in. I will use small parts to explain. Say you want to sell speed parts or bling parts whatever you have to buy so many units to become a dealer. Today some makers might want you to buy more. Say you want to sell in your store VDO gauges, you would have to buy 5 sets before you get a dealer price, if dealer price was $200.00 x 5 = $1000.00, and so on until you have your store stocked. If you sell frames you might not need to buy that many. Once you have the buy in, then you can buy one set or what ever at a time to keep in stock. And most if not all will not give you a no compete clause, Joe blow two blocks down can get the same deal. So you will have to have a lot of up front money to get started.
If you are from a small town or an area that does not need parts you are selling, then you have to mail order out parts and that can get real cutthroat, and most MGF. will not drop ship anymore. I'm not trying to get you to give up but to know what you are facing. You could buy a store already going, but I would look at his books Long and hard, before I did that, he might be one that is close to shutting the doors. If you need to get a loan, the banks are not loaning out money unless you don't need it. If it were me I would get a job in the kind of store you want to buy get your feet wet, take some night classes on running a business and wait until things turn around.
As far as selling out of your house I just don't think you could keep it going, people want to be able to get parts , well if they could 24-7, so working out of your house people would not want to put up with your shorter hours, They want parts at least 8 to 10 hours a day and 5 or 6 days a week. I f you were building cars that would be different, then they want what you have and can only get from you. A lot of these big outfits are online 24-7 with parts. Good luck

35terraplane Bob
Old 12-18-2010, 04:14 PM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

Let me echo, Bob, on your service. I wish you all the success in the world on your venture but I also think that you would be wise to listen to his sound and knowledgeable advise. Starting a Classic Car related business in today's economy could be very risky, to say the least.

Good Luck in whatever you endeavor and thanks again for your service to our Country.

WR
Old 12-19-2010, 06:36 AM

Last photo:

Thank you for your advice and please continue to support our troops I think were gonna need it now more than ever with whats going on today.

Yes the economy is weak thats why i would take it very slow and see how it works out. I think the economy is getting a little better or at least not getting worse. There isnt any kind of classic parts supplier here for miles around but there are lots of cars and people wanting/restoring cars, plus its a military town so there will always be the young GI wanting a hot rod Im from a smal town in VA and there are several parts stores one of which is Modern Chevrolet oldclassicmuscle.com their prices are very affordable and they seem to be doing very very well. Im not looking to get rich and could definitely give year one a run for the Money. Thanks Again
Old 12-19-2010, 07:09 AM

Last photo:

OK, so you will be "mustering out in Soonerland" and then moving back home to Verginny, right?

Wise choice there - - - - hahaha

One of the dealers that I do business with on my '55 is Danchucks and altho I have had a few problems, they have always done right by me and gotten me what I wanted. There is also a cool dude in NYC that has lots of parts I think his name is Frank but I'm not sure.

Anyhow, I'm rambling as usual so Good Luck and keep us informed if you can.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:43 AM

Last photo:

Haha I know how you texans hate oklahoma. I left there about 4 yrs ago im now in southern GA,
Old 12-19-2010, 08:39 AM

Last photo:

I don't think that "hate" is the right word, it's more like hmmmmmmmmm er uh, YEAH, I guess Hate is the word after all - - - - - - "Hook'em Horns"
Old 12-19-2010, 02:14 PM

Last photo:

starting a business

Quote:
Thank you for your advice and please continue to support our troops I think were gonna need it now more than ever with whats going on today.

Yes the economy is weak thats why i would take it very slow and see how it works out. I think the economy is getting a little better or at least not getting worse. There isnt any kind of classic parts supplier here for miles around but there are lots of cars and people wanting/restoring cars, plus its a military town so there will always be the young GI wanting a hot rod Im from a smal town in VA and there are several parts stores one of which is Modern Chevrolet oldclassicmuscle.com their prices are very affordable and they seem to be doing very very well. Im not looking to get rich and could definitely give year one a run for the Money. Thanks Again
If you are going to start with nothing, with that I mean no stock on the shelves, there is a way to get in with you getting the buy ins, It will take a little work but it can get you started. This will work as long as the MGF. will go along with you having short hours, if that is what you want. First you have to go out and find guys that are building cars, I will use gauges again, you have to find the buy in number say it's 5, so you have to find 5 guys that are going to need gauges, the thing is you have to get them to want the same make of gauges, to do that you offer to sell them those gauges at the dealer cost, that way you get the dearler ship, and they get the discount, it's a win, win. you don't have to lay any money out and you have the dealership for those gauges. Will it work, Well I set a buddy up in his business doing the same thing, and I got the guys to buy the parts. We got a/c units, gauges, shifters, or just spent the amount of money we had to, to get the buy in, we didn't do it all at once, sometimes guys would buy more than one unit, but slowly we got him going from his home to a store front. but again it is a tough business, there is always someone out there that is bigger, and can buy more at one time so they will get it for a better price than you, so can sell at a better price.
If you but your mind to it you can get it done, just don't drive yourself into the ground doing it.

As for giving support to the troops, A lot of us, were in the war where we were not treated very nice when we got home, speaking for myself I never want to see that again, not in the time I have left.

Bob

War does not determine who is right-- --only who is left.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:14 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the advice Bob that sounds like something I may have to do until I get established. Another dream I have is to one day open a paint and body shop after I win the lottery. But for conversation sake lets just say I wanted to, what are the rules and regulations that may make it a downfall? I know the EPA is always trying to bust the big guys but do they mess with the small owners? My plan now is to just rebuild and paint classics then sell after completion; this way I dont have to satisfy curious people who want chip foose paint jobs for $600, if you dont like dont buy.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:51 AM

Last photo:

starting a business

Quote:
Thanks for the advice Bob that sounds like something I may have to do until I get established. Another dream I have is to one day open a paint and body shop after I win the lottery. But for conversation sake lets just say I wanted to, what are the rules and regulations that may make it a downfall? I know the EPA is always trying to bust the big guys but do they mess with the small owners? My plan now is to just rebuild and paint classics then sell after completion; this way I dont have to satisfy curious people who want chip foose paint jobs for $600, if you dont like dont buy.
I don't know the laws for your state, but the EPA is not easy on anyone, and you are a little off on the paint jobs. With all the junk that goes with painting a car today just a good one is around $10,000.00 and a really nice one more. Chip Foose gets $75.00/hr shop rate, what his paint jobs cost I do not know but I'm sure he can get $100,000.00 for an award wining car.

Bob

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.