Starting/Charging ckt for '81 El Camino - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2008, 05:41 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Starting/Charging ckt for '81 El Camino

Hello Everyone, happy 4th of July. I hope someone can help me with this. I have an ' 81 El Camino. The car came with a 4.4 liter motor. I took that motor out and put a rebuilt chevy 350 in its place. The motor that I put in has the following attributes. 750 holley carb w/vac sec and electric choke; RPM " air gap " intake manifold; HEI distributor; plus some more hi perf internal goodies. Also, I am still using the stock starter.

The Delco Remy alternator has 3 wires coming out of the back of it, two +/- #10 red wires and a smaller wire. One of the red wires shares a wiring harness with the smaller wire. That is plugged into the back of the alternator at a place labeled #2(red wire), #1(darker wire). The other bigger red wire goes to a post labeled BAT also on the back of the alternator.

When I did the swap, a lot of wires are not being used because I am not running all of the emission stuff or the AC. This is where part of my dilemma lies.

Does anyone have the " correct " wiring and/or schematic diagram for the starting/charging ckt for this car; ' 81 El Camino. Keep in mind, I only have 3 wires coming out of the alternator, and the only aftermarket gauges that I am running are for oil pressure, volts, tachometer and temperature. I do not have an aftermarket amp gauge, yet.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2008, 05:58 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

The # 1 post is the exciter wire, usually comes through the idiot light. 8 to 10 volts with key one. The #2 wire is the voltage sense wire, usually tied into a switched source somewhere near teh fuse pannel. Theonly other connection it the large red wire that goes on teh big stud on the back.

Chet
Old 07-04-2008, 08:15 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the quick reply. However, I guess I did not leave enough information in my initial thread. I was hoping someone had the correct wiring/schematic diagram for the starting/charging ckt for this car. When I took the old engine out I labeled all the wiring, but during the powerwashing of the engine compartment most of the labels fell off. I need to know where the wires go for the starter, alternator(internal regulator) battery, HEI, ignition swith etc. Without going into to much detail as to why, I have a jumper across the solenoid going through a seperate switch to get it started.

I know I need a bat to the back of my head for letting the labels fall off, but if a wiring/schematic is available I think I can get it back the way its suppose to be.

Thanks again,
Rob
Old 07-05-2008, 09:48 AM

Last photo:

starting/charging

Fig. 35: Wiring diagrams-1981

http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm
Old 07-05-2008, 10:23 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdad1
Does anyone have the " correct " wiring and/or schematic diagram for the starting/charging ckt for this car
See the photo below. Left click to view a larger image. The #1 wire goes to an indicator (charge/idiot) light (or a diode) and then to the accessory side of the ignition switch (hot only with the switch in the 'ON' position). It is referred to as the 'exciter' wire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DelcoSI2wiring-small.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	30979  
Old 07-05-2008, 10:55 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Ok well see if this helps, i dont have a schematic but perhaps I can shed some insite.

The HEI power is a single wire usually Brown or red and has a pretty heavy duty clip on it.

The alternator could be any color but if you can find the 2 wires that are close to it, one should be switched battery voltage and the other should be a little less, like 8-10 vlots or so.

The starter sould have 1 large lead comming from the battery to the center stud and there is usually at least 1 more wite for that stud, it will be a fusable link that feeds the rest of the electrical system. It should be easy to determine as the ring size will be large. The Pink or purple wire will go on the s terminal of the starter, usually the closest to the block. Since you are running an HEI there doesnt need to ba anything on the I terminal of the starter.

Hope this helps
Chet
Old 07-05-2008, 11:03 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Here I found this. This site has wiring diagrams for most years of El Camino including yours.
Elcamino Central
Chet
Old 07-05-2008, 06:32 PM

Last photo:

Many thanks, that is just what I was looking for.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.