Starting Engine on stand-Flexplate or Flywheel? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2006, 10:48 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Starting Engine on stand-Flexplate or Flywheel?

Gents, we are ready to test fire my rebuilt Chev 350. We are doing this on a stand. We have some debate as to whether it is safe to fire it with only the flexplate attached. Some say absolutely not! Use a flywheel! Some say go ahead, it's fine.
Could you guys help us with this Q?
Better yet, could anyone provide us with a link or comprehensive info about the do's and dont's of running an engine on a stand?

It's a first rebuild for me, and we're pretty sure we've got everything else right, so I'd really rather not screw it up at this point

Thx
Rick

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2006, 11:58 AM
jbon64

Last photo:

i just finished building a engine run stand , i'm using a flex plate and have had no problem. BTW , thanks to doc vette and everyone else who replied to my "how to " thread
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00958.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	9660  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2006, 12:14 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

I would have said to put the convertor on for counterweight ... but apparently it's OK without it.

I would also hope that this "stand" would be something substantial ... like the one in Jeff's picture, and not just a $75 tripod stand. Safety is #1, right?
Be careful when "torquing" the engine.

The other thing is ... do you intend to run this for quite a while, or is this just a "test-firing"? My thoughts are that extended idling / run times with no load may not be a good thing from a break-in perspective. I was taught to vary engine speeds and loads a lot for about the first 500 miles ... and to "stay out of it" until things had a chance to loosen up a bit. (That was hard to do ... couldn't wait to mash that throttle!)
Old 01-29-2006, 06:49 PM
T buckets rule

we have a test stand and we just use a flex plate. Been using it for a long time with no problems.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GMC
I would have said to put the convertor on for counterweight ... but apparently it's OK without it.
I must disagree with that. I would not put a torque convertor on it unless the rest of the transmission was hooked up. Torque convertors are quite heavy and need the support of the bearing in the pump. You could risk cracking the flexplate to run an engine with an unsupported torque convertor bolted to the flexplate.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:49 PM

And as someone else said, DON'T try this on a simple engine work stand! Tried that once when I was a kid. You should have seen the garage afterwards!
Old 01-30-2006, 08:04 PM

Thanks all,

R
Old 01-30-2006, 09:19 PM
Last photo:

A flexplate is OK, it's done all the time, just don't rev the engine to 7 grand. Do not put a torque converter on the flexplate. As pointed out, the torque converter needs the support of the front pump in the transmission.

Vince
Old 01-31-2006, 08:25 AM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

OK guys, I stand corrected on the TQ.

However ... assuming thet the TQ & flex plate are properly balanced ... doesn't that "heavyness" of the convertor (need for support) become less of a factor once you get it spinning?

I'm thinking in terms of: "Centrifugal Force", "Gyroscopic", and "Wheel on a Bicycle"

Yeah ... I know ... you still need the "support" to make sure it runs true. I'd also hate to see the carnage if it ever DID let loose spinning at 6 grand ... so I'm sure you were right to say it was a bad idea.

I've never fired an engine up on a stand, ever.

I did fire a 351C up sitting on the ground, though ... with the trans attached. I also attached a length of chain to the LH side of the engine and tied the other end around a nearby tree. Sparked her up with NO exhaust manifolds ... sweeet. I could tell right away that the neighbors were enjoying it too
Old 01-31-2006, 08:41 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

stand

I run every engine i build on my test stand. I personally prefer to use a flywheel when ever i can... I just don't care for the sound the flexplate makes when using it with nothing bolted to it... i would see nothing wrong with bolting a converter to the flex plate because it is supported in the crank pilot by the diameter on the snout of the converter,,, however there is a big problem with all the fluid that will come flying out of the end if you do not block it off somehow....That is why i don't do it.. I have used flexplates on engines that i do not have flywheels for and i have had zero issues with them....

Keith
Old 02-01-2006, 07:23 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

The "ears" on the pump are connected to the main converter body so the pump turns with the flex plate. It pumps fluid as long as the engine is turning. The inner torus (I think that's what you call the thing!) is free floating. It will move around inside the converter if no trans is installed. So it would sling to one side and cause an imbalance. Running for a short period with just the flexplate is fine. If you plan on breaking in the cam on the stand find a flywheel. You can probably do it just fine with a flexplate, but a flywheel would be better.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:46 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

You don't need either one.

None of my dirt cars have clutches that bolt to the engine. Non but one has a flexplate and it's only 5" across. I like using the coupler. It solid mounts the tranmission the the crank shaft. It's about 5 inches across and bolt's to the crank flange and the inside is splined to fit to the trans input shaft. Just remember without the rotating weight your throttle response will be greater than with a 40 or 50 pound convertor or flywheel.

The trans are set up so the clutches are internal in the trans. They are only about 4" clutch discs. After you get up to speed you shift a lever that disenges the clutch pack(high gear) and you have a solid connection to the rear tires. NO gears or convertor or clutch or flywheel,(ughhh...rotating weight).
Old 02-03-2006, 01:29 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

you really dont want a converter spinning without the imput shaft. the inner parts will self destruct as they are supported by the imput shaft. a good tests stand is an old camaro clip. you can fire it with the trans.

Last edited by shine; 02-03-2006 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:03 PM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

johnsongrass1, that's fine for a dirt car, but you need something for the starter to engage on a test stand -- hence a flywheel of flexplate. But I do have a question for you -- without a flywheel or flex plate carrying a ring gear, how do you start the engine with that in/out clutch and coupler? Push start only?
Old 02-03-2006, 04:02 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Unless you like pushing....

Seriously, dirt cars do have flywheels per say. But they are not reguler size. They are very small(5" across or so) and they do nothing but start the car.

Some are mandated by rules to have a clutch inside the bell. Some small triple disk clutches are designed so you use a automatic trans flexplate. these are so fragile that loading the car on to a trailer will smoke the clutch.

Sprint cars have in/outboxes. Most dirt cars have a Bert or Brinn type internal clutch. You get these rolling by pushing ther pedel down, then after the car is rolling at idle speed, shift to high gear which locks the engine and trans and driveshaft together. Let off the clutch pedel.

My point was that either one is just dandy. Your engine doesn't know the differance. There are no reliabilty issues to consider.

You do need a way to start the engine though.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.