Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Starting on first engine soon, lots of questions
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2007, 07:27 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBeast
Thanks, I will definatly check out that magazine.

I have the book How to Build a Small-Block Chevy for the street by Jim Richardson. I also have a nitrous book by david vizard (I dont plan on puting nitrous on this car, I put a kit on a Malibu I had), a doorslammers chassis book, and a DVD called boxwrench or something similar that shows how to build an engine.

I recently bought a book called Modifying Small Block Chevrolet by John Lingenfelter I believe and another building smallblock chevy book by David Vizard. They shipped today and should be here shortly.
Well, you're certainly getting the right library in order.
As far as heads, you have stated that you don't want to spend money now only to have to do it again for an upgrade. With that in mind, I'd be looking at Airflow Research 195cc heads. They are about as good as it gets for a 383 that will be operated chiefly on the street. I'd choose a cam which operates from 2,500 to 6,000 rpm's and build the static c.r. to support that rpm range (something like a single pattern 230-235 degree cam and 9.5:1 to 10.0:1 static c.r.). If going with a carb, I'd use an Edelbrock Performer RPM Air Gap manifold with a 750 carb. I'd then button up a 2,500 stall converter onto the flexplate and go looking for your buddy with the Mustang.