Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Starting a fresh build
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2012, 10:46 AM
More machine than man

Last journal entry: bwaahhaahahaaahhaa
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

It is hard to beat a GM crank. Eagle and Scat cranks are marginal quality. If you want a decent aftermarket crank you are going to need to spend a grand on something like a Callie's crank. Is there something wrong with your current crank? My local machine shop sells used reground GM cranks for about the same price as a new Eagle crank. Go GM!

Your existing crank should be inspected by a machine shop. They need to look at the rod and crank journals for roundness and scoring, the thrust flange for scoring, and magnaflux the crank to see any cracks.

Why do you want aluminum heads? When you say "woods truck" I think this is a hunting rig. Are you trying to make a big horsepower mud bogger? Iron heads would be fine.

The block is a '95, so unless this is a crate engine, it is an LT motor. I am not sure if the older Gen 1 (and Vortec) heads will work. LT motors had reverse flow cooling and think there are some extra plumbing for steam on those.