Starting a fresh build - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2012, 12:10 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Starting a fresh build

What started as a cheap woods truck (87 k5 blazer) has graduated from cheap. I need a lil advice this is my first motor build by myself. I have learned over the years that asking for advice can save ya alotta money and headack. I got the motor all torn down it is already 30 over and looks good. Here's is were I need advice ,what crank would be the best for the money I'm not rich but I only wanna do this once. I'm mostly gonna drive the truck to and from my hunting camp and play in the woods. But if it's like any of my other projects i will probably go all out and build a bas *** motor. Any advice would be appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2012, 12:29 AM

use the stock crank.what are you expecting from the engine? A blue printed near stock engine should out last the truck
Old 08-02-2012, 04:29 PM

Use the stock crank as in the actual one that came out?(my buddy from the machine shop came and looked at the block and pistons and said they looked good jus to clean them with actual pieces of rings and put new rings) or jus order a stock one if so what brand do u recommend ? I plan on putting some aluminum heads and a good intake. My buddy that was supposed to know what he was doin and helpin me quit working for me so I'm hopin with help from this forum I can build something pretty bad a@$ but reliable.so any help or suggestions is appreciated.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:29 PM

no need for aluminum heads.use a good stock crank from manufacturer.Blue print the engine and balance.some bolt ons are ok.thats all you need
Old 08-02-2012, 06:44 PM

The engine is a 95 I was told these were not the good heads is that true? What year heads should I look for ? I was told I could get some stock vortex heads ? I thank everyone for the input
Old 08-03-2012, 10:46 AM
More machine than man

Last journal entry: bwaahhaahahaaahhaa
Last photo:

It is hard to beat a GM crank. Eagle and Scat cranks are marginal quality. If you want a decent aftermarket crank you are going to need to spend a grand on something like a Callie's crank. Is there something wrong with your current crank? My local machine shop sells used reground GM cranks for about the same price as a new Eagle crank. Go GM!

Your existing crank should be inspected by a machine shop. They need to look at the rod and crank journals for roundness and scoring, the thrust flange for scoring, and magnaflux the crank to see any cracks.

Why do you want aluminum heads? When you say "woods truck" I think this is a hunting rig. Are you trying to make a big horsepower mud bogger? Iron heads would be fine.

The block is a '95, so unless this is a crate engine, it is an LT motor. I am not sure if the older Gen 1 (and Vortec) heads will work. LT motors had reverse flow cooling and think there are some extra plumbing for steam on those.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:46 PM

Use the old crank. Unless your building Strip only dragster or your stroking it use the old one. Cause by the time you turn a 400 crank down to a 350 main you would have spent the same to buy a new eagle or scat crank.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.