Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - starting issues
Thread: starting issues
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 10:24 PM
Old & Furious

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefox View Post
thanks guys for you quick replys when the engine cranks it cranks fast as for air leaks how can i check for them? my choke is not hooked up it is electrick but it wont idle down even after a its hot and if it does kick down ill be driving and my rpm will shoot up to 2500 so i just unpluged it i did check for power at the wire there is power but my dash has a choke light on that ive tryed to fix but no luck and a shop wants to charge me 250 and i dont think i can pay that. the carb is only 1.5 years old so no clue why such the problems. thanks again
Yeah 250 sounds crazy since its a 50 dollar kit the last time i got one. For the 1406 but you need a manual or electric choke hooked up to start the car even in mild weather.

You can test for intake leaks with carb cleaner on a cold engine spray some around the gaskets and hoses. It should rev up or choke out if its sucks up bunch of carb cleaner. I think wd40 and some other stuff works as well but carb cleaner will evaporate before it catches fire on a hot block.

Maybe one of the other guys can help with a link or more detail for finding leaks. Usally it going over it hoses by hose looking for cracks and loose fittings.

I would gwt the choke worked out first. Then move on to other issues. If you hook up the choke does it fire right up. Or still same issue. You can replae the entire unit. Edelbrock can help with testing and finding oit what parts have failed if the choke is bad. That should resolve the hard start in cold weather.