Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - starting issues
Thread: starting issues
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 06:23 AM
Old & Furious

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefox View Post
No they told me it will take hours to figur iout why the choke light is on my dash. But when i have the choke hooked up it does start alot easyer but it takes forever to kick down and it goes into fits of high idles all my hoses are new so i dont think the leaks are from there but ill recheck and tinker around with the choke again thanks guys ill keep you up to dat
For the edelbrock choke i think you can just run 12 volts from any fused "key on" source. I am willing to bet the choke not being hooked up is the issue and the factory wiring is crap. Just run a new wire and keep in mind that shop has no problem stabbing you for electrical work. Just take the bulb out of the dash you dont really need a choke light anymore unless you can get it working like factory i would skip it. Like colbalt said the choke can crap out and no light. So not as useful as you might think.

My car will not start at all without the choke unless its warm out. in winter forget it. Better chance of flooding it than have it start with out the choke.

The electric choke should stay active for 10 mins or so. My poncho needed th choke for 20 mins if just idling in the drive. now take it out and punch it she would heat up quickly. So that is normal behavior for the choke to keep the fast idle for a few mins. Just adjust it down a tad and you should be fine. Fast idle should be no more than 1500 rpm or less.

Now with everything in working and hooked up if its still surging that is another issue to deal with. At this point fix whats in front of you and move on to the next problem.