starting issues - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 06:59 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

starting issues

Hello guys great site well oi have a 85 camaro z28 with a 72 vette 350 that has a 268h comp cam 650 cfm 1406 edelbrock carb. well mt problem is it takes forever cranking and pumping of the gas to get here to start but when it fires up it drives fine i do notice some legg when i punch it but no to much. it never stahls after its running i can shut it off and come back after a hour and it will start right up but when i park it and try to start it the next day it back to cranking and pumping the gas like crazy. I have bought and installed a rebuilt kit for my carb and nothing. Just wondering if there is anything else i can try. Oh my engine does run really hot but never overheats. thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 07:32 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefox View Post
Hello guys great site well oi have a 85 camaro z28 with a 72 vette 350 that has a 268h comp cam 650 cfm 1406 edelbrock carb. well mt problem is it takes forever cranking and pumping of the gas to get here to start but when it fires up it drives fine i do notice some legg when i punch it but no to much. it never stahls after its running i can shut it off and come back after a hour and it will start right up but when i park it and try to start it the next day it back to cranking and pumping the gas like crazy. I have bought and installed a rebuilt kit for my carb and nothing. Just wondering if there is anything else i can try. Oh my engine does run really hot but never overheats. thanks
Air leaks? Will amke the emgine run hot and hard to start also putter a little off idle. What type of choke is hooked up. Does the engine crank fast or slow.

Sounds like massive air leak or electric choke is not working. Most of the time to get the engine to jump when you hit the gas with edelbrock carbs you will end up setting the accelerator pump to its max setting. How is your set it should flood the car if you pump it a few times. Usally just put it to the floor to set the choke before you turn the key then turn the key and it should fire right off.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:36 PM

the float bowl might be a little low or heat may purk the carb dry and when you start it the next day you have to wait for fuel. next morning before cranking take off the air cleaner and look inside and pump the throttle,see if there is any gas?
Old 12-10-2012, 08:21 PM

thanks guys for you quick replys when the engine cranks it cranks fast as for air leaks how can i check for them? my choke is not hooked up it is electrick but it wont idle down even after a its hot and if it does kick down ill be driving and my rpm will shoot up to 2500 so i just unpluged it i did check for power at the wire there is power but my dash has a choke light on that ive tryed to fix but no luck and a shop wants to charge me 250 and i dont think i can pay that. the carb is only 1.5 years old so no clue why such the problems. thanks again
Old 12-10-2012, 09:24 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
thanks guys for you quick replys when the engine cranks it cranks fast as for air leaks how can i check for them? my choke is not hooked up it is electrick but it wont idle down even after a its hot and if it does kick down ill be driving and my rpm will shoot up to 2500 so i just unpluged it i did check for power at the wire there is power but my dash has a choke light on that ive tryed to fix but no luck and a shop wants to charge me 250 and i dont think i can pay that. the carb is only 1.5 years old so no clue why such the problems. thanks again
Yeah 250 sounds crazy since its a 50 dollar kit the last time i got one. For the 1406 but you need a manual or electric choke hooked up to start the car even in mild weather.

You can test for intake leaks with carb cleaner on a cold engine spray some around the gaskets and hoses. It should rev up or choke out if its sucks up bunch of carb cleaner. I think wd40 and some other stuff works as well but carb cleaner will evaporate before it catches fire on a hot block.

Maybe one of the other guys can help with a link or more detail for finding leaks. Usally it going over it hoses by hose looking for cracks and loose fittings.

I would gwt the choke worked out first. Then move on to other issues. If you hook up the choke does it fire right up. Or still same issue. You can replae the entire unit. Edelbrock can help with testing and finding oit what parts have failed if the choke is bad. That should resolve the hard start in cold weather.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:31 PM
Old & Furious

Takes brass ones to charge 250 for this. Did they find any problems other than the choke?
Edelbrock 1478 Edelbrock Carburetor Choke Kits

You may even need less than 50 bucks worth of parts to fix it.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:49 PM

No they told me it will take hours to figur iout why the choke light is on my dash. But when i have the choke hooked up it does start alot easyer but it takes forever to kick down and it goes into fits of high idles all my hoses are new so i dont think the leaks are from there but ill recheck and tinker around with the choke again thanks guys ill keep you up to dat
Old 12-11-2012, 03:28 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Connecting the choke wire back to the choke should make the light go out. All that's wrong w/your choke is the fast idle is out of adjustment. The manual (links below) gives instructions on how to adjust it. There's no reason not to use the choke, but if you want the light off and do not want the choke to work as it was intended to, hook the wire up to the choke and adjust the choke to be wide open all the time.

If hooking the choke wire to the choke doesn't put the choke light out, the first thing to check is for a blown fuse- that can cause the choke light to come on and is the easiest thing to check.

The alternator malfunctioning will also cause the choke light to come on. Funny thing, the choke being bad will not make the choke light come on, but that's another story.

Something to check for the excessive pumping of the gas to get it to start is the accelerator pump. It's easy to check: With the engine OFF, look into the primary side of the carb (side w/the choke blades) using a flashlight and work the throttle open and closed. Every time you open the throttle there should be two streams of gas coming from the accelerator pump discharge nozzles. The streams should be nice, full shots like from a small squirt gun, and not bubbly or frothy/drippy, if you follow me. And the streams should come just as soon as the throttle blades start to open.

The Edelbrock owner’s manual is here. With the info from it and from Edelbrock Performer Series Carburetor- Complete Guide to Set-Up, Tuning, and Performance Jetting, you should be able to tackle most any carb related problem.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:23 AM
Old & Furious

Quote:
No they told me it will take hours to figur iout why the choke light is on my dash. But when i have the choke hooked up it does start alot easyer but it takes forever to kick down and it goes into fits of high idles all my hoses are new so i dont think the leaks are from there but ill recheck and tinker around with the choke again thanks guys ill keep you up to dat
For the edelbrock choke i think you can just run 12 volts from any fused "key on" source. I am willing to bet the choke not being hooked up is the issue and the factory wiring is crap. Just run a new wire and keep in mind that shop has no problem stabbing you for electrical work. Just take the bulb out of the dash you dont really need a choke light anymore unless you can get it working like factory i would skip it. Like colbalt said the choke can crap out and no light. So not as useful as you might think.

My car will not start at all without the choke unless its warm out. in winter forget it. Better chance of flooding it than have it start with out the choke.

The electric choke should stay active for 10 mins or so. My poncho needed th choke for 20 mins if just idling in the drive. now take it out and punch it she would heat up quickly. So that is normal behavior for the choke to keep the fast idle for a few mins. Just adjust it down a tad and you should be fine. Fast idle should be no more than 1500 rpm or less.

Now with everything in working and hooked up if its still surging that is another issue to deal with. At this point fix whats in front of you and move on to the next problem.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:52 AM

starting issues

Your engine does not have to run hot to boil the gas from the carburetor. Try a heat shield to prevent the gas from boiling away after you shut your engine down. Edelbrock 9266 Edelbrock Heat Insulator Gasket. Holley and Mr.Gasket sell them also. Be sure to have your fuel pressure set at 5.5 psi. Another problem you could have is the way you have your timing curve setup. You might have your throttle blades open to much uncovering the transfer slots. You must remove the carburetor to adjust this setting. To start, the primary is adjusted to have .020 of the transfer slot showing. The secondary transfer slot will be closed. You will not have to open this unless the idle is too low. Reinstall the carburetor and start the car to see what rpms it idles at. 850-900 rpms would be good for idle after it is warmed up. You will need a timing light with an advance knob. Set the knob to zero. Unplug the vacuum hose from the distributor and plug it. Set the initial timing at about 10*-12* BTDC. If the idle is too low advance the timing until your rpms read 850-900. This might take around 16* BTDC. Then have someone hold the rpms to about 3000-3500. Point the light at the scale and turn the the knob on the back of the timing light until the line on the balancer aligns with zero on the scale. You will want 36* on the timing light. Turn the distributor until you get 36* then lock the distributor. Read this article it has all about setting your timing curve and your carburetor's transfer slots. http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...EI_distributor Here is the link to the Edelbrock 1406 manual http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...404_manual.pdf

Last edited by cdminter59; 12-11-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:54 PM

thanks guys will try this stuff out this weekend
Old 12-11-2012, 08:22 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

I'd start with Cobalt's proposed solution before I went off chasing ghosts.
Making sure that what you have is set up properly should always be step one.

JMO.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:17 PM

hello guys so today i checked for leaks and hooked up the choke. got in the car turned the key and she fired right up it idiled at 2000-2500 for ten min and never kicked down i checked for power at the choke on the carb and there is power now its been 15 min still no kick down on idle so i got in it took it for a boot for 5 min got home still high idle like 1500-1800. any clues or tips to get her to kick down when she is hot. thanks
Old 12-26-2012, 05:48 PM
Old & Furious

Adjust the idle mixture screws on the front of the carb while its hot. With the choke hooked up it should still fire off when cold then idle down when hot.

But this only happens when the choke is hooked up without it runs normal? Maybe the choke needs to be tweaked or is not hooked up properly.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:53 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Quote:
hello guys so today i checked for leaks and hooked up the choke. got in the car turned the key and she fired right up it idiled at 2000-2500 for ten min and never kicked down i checked for power at the choke on the carb and there is power now its been 15 min still no kick down on idle so i got in it took it for a boot for 5 min got home still high idle like 1500-1800. any clues or tips to get her to kick down when she is hot. thanks
What position is the choke plate in?
(It should be wide open when the engine is at operating temperature.)

If it's not ... is there still power at the choke cap with engine running?
12V or 15V?

Have you tried adjusting (rotating) the choke cap so that the choke IS open at operating temp?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.