Starting My 5.3 Swap....Computer Questions? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2008, 12:25 AM
Datsun SBC/BBC/LSx Guru

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Starting My 5.3 Swap....Computer Questions?

Hey guys, recently I bought a 1969 C10 SWB Fleetside as another project, but one that I could start with my [soon to be] wife (she loves working on my toys). Anyway, I want something dependable and something that wouldn't kill my mpg and still have a decent amount HP/TQ. After weighing cost (among other things) I decided on swapping in a 5.3 Vortec engine.

Today I bought a complete setup (engine, computer, harness, MAF, pedal, etc) from a rolled low mileage 2004 Burb. I already have the engine mounting handled, so that's out of the way. I will prob end up running full length headers too since it looks like I would have to trim too much of the stock frame to make the stock manifolds work.

I did not buy a transmission since I have 28" tall tires and 3.08 rear gears. That means the TH350 tranny I have will be bolted to the 5.3.

I did several searches and found that the stock computer will need to be tweaked to work for me (I figured). I have read that the un-used inputs can be 'edited' off the computer and I have also read something about 'pinning'? I made a list of things that would not be used in my case, but I am fuzzy on how this is done..... (please explain both).

-VATS
-Rear O2 sensors (no cats)

Okay, lay it on me. What else do I need? Any help is thanked in advance.

Thanks guys!!

Advertisement

Last edited by Ford_Assassin; 07-25-2008 at 12:05 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2008, 11:32 PM

Last wiki edit: Hand cleaner Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

there are 2 ways, have the PCM programed, or do it yourself.

i recommend buying the stuff you need to tune the PCM yourself.
you can send your PCM out & have it reflashed, but odds are they won't get it right the first time, if ever.
for not too much more than what something like the hypertech programer costs, you can do it yourself. plus you can make many other changes that you would never get from having it done. then add in you can make changes to the PCM for any upgrades you may do later on.

going with a 3 speed trans is even more reason to tune it yourself. the PCM will look for the sensors & solenoids in the trans. but with a 3.08 gear, the 4L60E trans with its deep first gear i feel would work great. plus you would have overdrive which would help with fuel mileage. so you may want to think about going back & getting the trans.

there is a learning curve to tuning the PCM, but there is also a lot of help available too.

there are a couple of different companies out there that sell the hardware & software to tune your own PCM.

i think this will get you started.
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=368718

another thing, learning to tune it yourself will help you in trouble shooting problems that will come up from time to time.

i don't know much about it or if it will work with your setup, but there is also this option for tuning it yourself,
http://www.moates.net/index.php?cPath=53_56
Old 07-25-2008, 12:02 AM
Datsun SBC/BBC/LSx Guru

Last photo:

Thanks for the reply. Grabbing the 4L60/4L65e from the same truck is not possible both for cash reasons and the fact it was long gone.

I will look into buying the required software, thanks for the tip.

I have this thread running, but it hasn't attracted much attention......
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=959142
Old 07-25-2008, 07:57 AM

I would look into calling Arizona TPI for your programming needs. We have worked with them on many occasions and they stand behind their work! Very rarely that I have found that they don't get it right the first time. But they take care of buisness. And these guys do a lot of programming work. If your not going to do any modifications and just have to remove the anti-theft (which you have to) and want to remove a couple of the other little things like rear 02's they can take care of it for you. I honestly wouldn't see a need for buying a programer for a one time thing like this. Just my two cents.

Arizona TPI's number is (480) 921-2500. They will get you taken care of.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:05 AM
Datsun SBC/BBC/LSx Guru

Last photo:

I got the modified PCM and harness back from Wait4Me and plugged everything back in today. Still have to mount the PCM somewhere on the driver's side, prob on the inter fender well. I also have to wire up the the harness for stand-alone operation (3 ignition switched and 1 constant 12 volt) fuel pump and relay.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.